Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Melton Mowbray Rare Breeds Show & Sale  (Read 4349 times)

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
Melton Mowbray Rare Breeds Show & Sale
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:33:46 am »
Which is the best day to go for someone who wants a good nosy at the different breeds - show day or sale day?

I won't be buying, just want to get up close with some of the different breeds and chat to the owners.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Melton Mowbray Rare Breeds Show & Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:12:35 pm »
I would say show day, people have more time.... you can usually get the prices online afterwards.  :thumbsup:

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:10:21 am »
Thank you! Well, I'm still sat here in my jammies having a cup of tea so probably won't make it to show day! Had some issues in the night so taking it easy.

It will still be good tomorrow. I haven't been a livestock auction since I was a kid. I got the wrong side of a set of gates and ended up being unceremoniously dragged out by a farmer as pile of weaners came charging by on the way to the ring.

I was only about 10 but have a snapshot in my mind of the piggies racing towards me hell for leather and everyone laughing at me.  ;D

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:45:24 pm »
I will look out for you tomorrow... What do you look like?  :wave:  Brian

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:58:16 pm »

I went to your pen today quite early but missed you! Lots of lovely rosettes! I got very involved learning the auction ropes and following the prices for the various sheep so I'm sorry, I wasn't able to get back.

I missed the auctions for the kerry hill, white woodland and greyface dartmoor. Could anyone give me an idea of some of the prices the ewes and lambs were going for?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:42 pm »
I wa there today with my little one!
I think it was better than last year!
I was very interested in bagot goats - didn't realise  efore than they are so tiny! As well as Portland sheep - that might be my next choice of breed!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:55 am »

I went to your pen today quite early but missed you! Lots of lovely rosettes! I got very involved learning the auction ropes and following the prices for the various sheep so I'm sorry, I wasn't able to get back.

I missed the auctions for the kerry hill, white woodland and greyface dartmoor. Could anyone give me an idea of some of the prices the ewes and lambs were going for?

Sorry I missed you, I didn't know who to look out for..... you ask about the prices, here is the download of the results for each breed.
Regards Brian

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:22:45 am »
Sorry I missed you, I didn't know who to look out for..... you ask about the prices, here is the download of the results for each breed.
Regards Brian

That's fabulous! Thanks Brian.

Is ths produced by the Market or did you put this together?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:53 am »
Hi there, it is produced by Grassroots.  If you google Melton Rare Breeds and choose the link to the market (ignore the fact that it appears to be a year out of date) then click on the link to Grassroots it will give you the option of choosing sheep, cattle, pigs or goats.  Be aware of the following! 

If you are using 'Google Chrome' as your browser and are having difficulty downloading the show results then please either :
1. 'Right click' on the link and 'save link as', to save the file on your PC. You will then be able to open and print the document.
2.See http://techlogon.com/2011/09/05/problems-viewing-pdf-files-in-google-chrome/ for further assistance
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:42:29 am by nimbusllama »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS