Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I've decided to make wine...  (Read 14193 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
I've decided to make wine...
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:36 pm »
The last time I wade wins was 50 odd years ago and that was elderberry wine. Now Mrs RTB has started to make wine from the fruit from the garden , not wishing to be left out I thought I would dabble once again.
So far I have produced Mead * , local honey and quite successful, currently Mead with ginger on the go. Raspberry wine has been bottled  and is maturing , Elderberry wine has just been started ( forgot how many berries you needed , 'fasands of 'em) and seems very active at the moment . The Pear wine smells very fragrant and fermented for over a month.
Finally , and after some research and talking to some one who has done this I have just started a gallon of wine,"made from Girders" just for amusement....

*I must say the mead is quite nice and makes one comfortably numb, of course not being a regular drinker........

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: I've decided to make wine...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:47 pm »
Sounds great. Keep us informed of the outcome. If you can :-)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 08:02:29 pm »
What is a wine made from 'girders'? I'm a bit of addict when it comes to making wine. Be warned, you may soon find yourself with more wine than you can drink. We've been experimenting with wild yeasts and fruity meads this year. Just about to put a spiced mead on for the festive period but I'm horribly late so we'll probably be drinking it in Jan!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:16:39 pm »
Dans be careful using wild yeasts on unsterilized fruits , your wine  can develop some disgusting off flavours .

Blackberry fermenting on it's own wild yeast is a particular victim , over the years I've lost two five gallons & several demijonns  of what I hoped would have been blackberry port to it .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »
[member=10966]clodhopper[/member]

Yeah we have found that the blackberry didn't work at all. It just wouldn't even start fermenting. In the end I campden tableted it and kicked it of with normal yeast. I have been scientific about it and have a couple 1 gallon batches done in varying ways. I need to get around to taste testing those...

The plum has been amazing though. I dove in with those as my first ever wine was a plum with wild yeast and that was one of the best ones I ever made. We did 4 5 gallon batches of plum wine this year (big purple, small yellow, small red and a mixed). The big purple was from frozen and the wild yeast didn't take, I'm guessing it was killed off by the freezing. The others are very tasty though.

I think it may depend a lot on the particular fruit. I won't be trying wild yeast blackberry but I will do plum again.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:58:03 am »
What is a wine made from 'girders'? I'm a bit of addict when it comes to making wine. Be warned, you may soon find yourself with more wine than you can drink. We've been experimenting with wild yeasts and fruity meads this year. Just about to put a spiced mead on for the festive period but I'm horribly late so we'll probably be drinking it in Jan!

Dans
Aww common what drink do you know of "made from Girders" from Scotland , its still fermenting and changing from lurid orange to a golden amber, dunno what it will taste like though.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:46:01 am »
Irn Bru wine???  :o

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:44:06 pm »

Dans

Well , when I looked at the sugar content of IB  I thought to my self chuck a bit of yeast in and see what I end up with ( probably fragrant screen wash  :innocent:  ) but just wanted to satisfy my curiosity .

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »
 lol

I have seen it said you can make wine from anything. Did the yeast take? Do let us know how it turns out,

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:18:20 pm »
Yes the yeast took very well just a small handful of currents as a food , it fermented strongly  until a week ago ( I think) still a bit of life in it , I think I will give it another 2 weeks then kill it off and rack it.
I think I have found a solution to my cloudy banana wine after chatting to a mate ( industrial chemist ) Yes a centrifuge............  yes I know  a heathen with too much time on his hands   :roflanim:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:26 pm »
lol. Now that is getting high tech!

W

www.sixoaks.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:14:02 pm »
Ooh, I love Irn Bru, must try that wine!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »
lol

I have seen it said you can make wine from anything. Did the yeast take? Do let us know how it turns out,

Dans

My Dad used to reckon he could pick the flowers off the wallpaper and make wine with them! ;D

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 10:12:26 pm »

Dans

Well , when I looked at the sugar content of IB  I thought to my self chuck a bit of yeast in and see what I end up with ( probably fragrant screen wash  :innocent:  ) but just wanted to satisfy my curiosity .

I used to make th IB concentrate ( under licence )  for Sodastream .
If you look at the ingredients of IB  you will see there are preservatives ( Sodium Benzoate ? IIRC )  in it , which will/ should  prevent the yeast from fermenting , these preservatives have to be added to pass food standards legislation .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 10:16:02 pm »

Dans

I used to make th IB concentrate ( under licence )  for Sodastream .
If you look at the ingredients of IB  you will see there are preservatives ( Sodium Benzoate ? IIRC )  in it , which will/ should  prevent the yeast from fermenting , these preservatives have to be added to pass food standards legislation .

I wonder ,  if you can add so much yeast to over come the preservative chemicals effect .  ? That could be an experiment to try if well controlled .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS