Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep insurance by Lynx charity  (Read 3488 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sheep insurance by Lynx charity
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:00:34 pm »
I checked the diary to see if it was April 1st.

I think this misses the point. I don't want my sheep predated. Not by dogs, not by lynx, polar bears, brown bears or wolves. End of.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »

I think this misses the point. I don't want my sheep predated. Not by dogs, not by lynx, polar bears, brown bears or wolves. End of.

This
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:14:02 pm »
They just don't seem to get it, do they?  The human and sheep population was around 5% of its present level and the forest coverage 1000% more when lynx were last at large in the UK.  Why doesn't it register that the world is different now ....?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »
They just don't seem to get it, do they?  The human and sheep population was around 5% of its present level and the forest coverage 1000% more when lynx were last at large in the UK.  Why doesn't it register that the world is different now ....?

It rather sums it all up when the chief scientist talks about Llama's as something really exciting as though we hadn't heard of them or using them to protect against foxes. Won't it be great when we all get a new lambing shed, fencing and the icing on the cake, our very own Llama?  :thinking:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:19:37 am »
So, they want to reintroduce an extinct species and at the same time increase the number of non native animal. Where is the logic in That? It'll be dinosaur next :-)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
Not to mention :

- camelids can carry bTB but there is no reliable test for TB in camelids (unless there have been breakthroughs of which I am unaware)
- I've heard that camelids only seem to protect sheep if it is a lone camelid.  If there are several camelids, they flock together and pretty much ignore the sheep.  Therefore to gain the protecting benefit of the camelid, one would have to illtreat the camelid by depriving it of the company of other camelids - contrary to British Animal Welfare Codes for any herd animal.  (Although they are aggressive to foxes, so in a smallish field, it could work with a couple of llamas, I guess.)
- You'd have to reduce your sheep numbers to allow grazing for the llamas.  Perhaps The Lynx Trust will pay for all the llamas, and compensate us all for the reduced sheep grazing? ::)

Maybe we should all start having livestock guarding dogs.  Will The Lynx Trust cover all the prosecutions for dog bites of walkers that will ensue?  No, didn't think so.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »
I think the plan is to introduce European lynx not the type in these pictures by photographer, Tim Newton. Doesn't give the impression of a shy animal and how many kittens!

https://[/size]www.facebook.com[/color][/size]/[/color][/size]timnewtonphotography[/color][/size]/posts/174820679749901[/color]

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:13 am »
I wouldn't call them kittens as that implies sweet kitties, they should be cubs as in tiger and lions which while they may look sweet everyone expects them to grow into killers.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:09 am »
I see a UK tourist was killed by wolves in Greece last week....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS