Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big belly for more than 8 months, not pregnant, loosing liquid (no bloat)  (Read 1775 times)

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
We milk 12 goats and 18 sheep. In the summer all grass fed in the winter alfalfa silage and grass hay. They all give birth in Spring.
Last Spring (March 2017) one of my (better) goats did not give birth although our buck is permanently with the flock. However she had (and still has) a big belly. So I thought that she had been mated later than the others and would give birth later.
Her belly stayed big and a had a feeling that it looked like it was full with fluids. Last week I found a small puddle of cloudy mucus on the concrete part of our stable and discovered it was from her. This morning her tail looked a bit pink (blood?) and wet.
She did not get in heath this Autumn so something seems to be wrong  with her ovaries or uterus. (??)
I did talk to my vet today. He had seen this before. Summarized he said 'goat full with water - not getting pregnant - so kill her'. I live in Slovakia.
She does not act different from the others and does not look to be in pain. I would prefer not to kill her. Does anybody has had a similar problem with a goat? What to do next? I would really appreciate help and opinions on this matter, my vet wont do anything, it is just a goat...

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Big belly for more than 8 months, not pregnant, loosing liquid (no bloat)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:40:14 pm »
Can/do goats get Pyometra? Or Endometritis/Metritis?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:55:07 pm »
Sounds like cloudburst (false pregnancy) quite common in goats often go longer than 5 months and kid to their bag of water they often come into season shortly after. Vet can give an injection to stop the false pregnancy or can let it run its course. If your male is running with her she will go back in kid. I have had a couple.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:01:27 pm by Talana »

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:47:35 am »
Thank you very much Talana! I just checked the symptoms of the false pregnancy online and it looks really like what my goat has. Since my vet wont do anything I will just wait till she delivers her 'cloudburst'. No need to slaughter her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS