Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movement forms and vet trips  (Read 4867 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Movement forms and vet trips
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:52:40 pm »
My ancient ewe is booked in for a one-way trailer ride to the vet on Wednesday.  As it's not an emergency situation but pre-planned, am I correct in thinking that she needs a movement form?  We're in Scotland.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Movement forms and vet trips
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:00:38 pm »
Is anybody likely to question whether it was an emergency or not, or even  that she didn't die at home? The vets certainly aren't paid to act as informants.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »
As I understand it you don't need movement forms for vet trips but you will need a disposal note from whoever takes the carcass.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »
I would check with the licencing people. You will have one less to account for.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:33:08 am »
Trips to the vet will NOT need a movement form. If the vet disposes of her s/he will need to give you a form saying they are doing so, if not the knacker man will give you one.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:59:21 am »
Thank you - the vets have an incinerator, but it's on a different site at their lab a couple of miles away and due to health and safety regulations, the people who come down to the surgery to collect anything that needs incinerating daily aren't allowed to lift bodies over a certain weight.  However, if I go to the surgery, the vet puts her to sleep in the trailer and then rings the lab to say I'm on my way up there, they'll take her off the trailer. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:51:22 am »
Should just need a disposal note from the vets then to satisfy any numbers issues. Then record in the movement book a death and note the receipt number of the disposal note by it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:38:16 am »
We prefer to use a knackerman in these situations.  One shot and it's over, whereas the transportation and faff with a lethal injection is far more protracted.  The knackerman will also deal with disposal.  Ours are brilliant - their view is that it's been my job to give the animal a good life and it's theirs to give it a swift and painless death.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 12:58:14 pm »
That would be my preference too, but the nearest knackerman is 175 miles away. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »
Trips to the vet will NOT need a movement form. If the vet disposes of her s/he will need to give you a form saying they are doing so, if not the knacker man will give you one.

That was what I believed but on the eaml2 system for pigs there is a "move to a vet" section.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:37 pm »

That was what I believed but on the eaml2 system for pigs there is a "move to a vet" section.

You would load a sick (adult?) pig into a trailer to take it to the vets? Sure?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:34 pm »

You would load a sick (adult?) pig into a trailer to take it to the vets? Sure?

I have no idea what anyone might do. I am just pointing out the facility exists to create a licence to the vets for pigs despite people saying a licence isn't required for vets visits. There are occasions when I can imagine people might take pigs to the vet such as tusk trimming, vaccination. Not all animals who go to the vet are actually sick.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:10:44 pm »
I took a piglet to the vet once. Your not going to call them out are you when you can just put the piglet in the back of the Land Rover?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 10:04:35 am »
I took a piglet to the vet once. Your not going to call them out are you when you can just put the piglet in the back of the Land Rover?

Absolutely but I find when they get to fully grown I need a trip to the physio on the way back from the vet, to have my back sorted from lifting them!  :innocent:

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »
Deed done this morning and all went smoothly - she walked happily into the trailer after her bucket of nuts, bedded herself down on the hay and travelled well.  The vet underestimated the size of injection needed, so I have a lovely final memory of her flat out in the trailer, snoring loudly while I scratched her behind the ears, as he refilled the syringe. 

Vet and incineration people both said no paperwork needed, the incineration people would report her tag number themselves, so I just needed to record it on ScotEID and in my flock book as a death.  Vet and lab staff both lovely to the middle-aged woman attempting to hold it together and not quite managing, though I did manage to hold off from the proper snotty-nosed blubbing until I was back in the truck and had driven away!  Seeing how stiff she was getting up first thing this morning though, I know I've done the right thing, and 13 is a pretty good age for a hill ewe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS