Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raincoats for big dogs  (Read 3275 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Raincoats for big dogs
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:48:22 pm »
Our Flattie is 12 now. A good age for a Flattie and he is still active and keen to go on his 3 short walks each day.

He has been fine all Summer but since the weather has turned wetter he seems to be a bit stiff at times.

He was the same last Winter and the vet suspects a touch of arthritis that flares up now and again. The vet prescribed Metacam to be used as and when needed but he hasn't needed any at all during the Summer months. I think it is when he gets wet that the flare ups occur.

We try to pick 'dry' times to walk but obviously get caught out frequently living in the rainy Welsh hills. I don't want to leave him at home if I can help it because he gets a bit distressed being left while I'm out with the other dog or doing the outside chores.

Anyone used raincoats on big dogs? Do you think they would help or can they cause other problems eg overheating or something else that I haven't thought of.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks on advance

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Raincoats for big dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »
Probably depends where his arthritis is?  A coat won't help his legs.  My Gordon setter is nearly 12 and suffers also.  He does have a coat which he used to wear in the kennel on cold days, but now he's in the house all the time except for walks.  I might walk him in it this winter though. (I like Outhwaite coats - think you can get them on amazon)I think its a matter of drying them off well after a walk so they are not laying cold and wet.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 03:55:48 pm »
Thanks, Old Shep.

I will take a look at those.

He is a house dog and I try my best to dry him down but still seems to affect him.

Vet didn't specify where the arthritis was. He wasn't actually stiff at the time. He was just having his booster. Tends to be at night after he has been lying down for a while or he will have a one off day when he seems a bit uncomfortable with it and then fine by the next day.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »
Why not get one of those coats that you put on when they get in that wicks the wet out of their coat far better than a towel.

I got a lightweight coat for my old dog for wet days when we were out on the yard and she would get cold hanging about for me. It fixed across her chest and under her with velcro. It wasn't heavy but it made a difference to her comfort on wet days.

There is a big push to discourage horse owners from rugging for no need and over rugging. Vets are being called to suspected colic cases for example and finding the horse is actually overheated.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:34:36 am »
A lot of people - and a lot of vets - rate daily Glucosamine for older dogs to help against arthritis.  I certainly noticed a difference in my two old boys.

If you do find a coat, or anything else that helps, please report back.  I have the same with Skip, he loves getting towelled down but it's not a perfect solution.  And this winter I shall be wondering which is best - take him with me to hang around while I pick horse poo, or leave him behind and just take the more active and weatherproof Dot.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 11:23:22 am »
Our old dog (now deceased) used to suffer with arthritis in one of his legs (due to past injury) so we have him a sprinkle of turmeric in his food along with olive oil and sometimes fish oil capsules too. Worked wonders for movement/inflammation.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:53 pm »
Our old dog (now deceased) used to suffer with arthritis in one of his legs (due to past injury) so we have him a sprinkle of turmeric in his food along with olive oil and sometimes fish oil capsules too. Worked wonders for movement/inflammation.

Good point, I can't believe I haven't thought of that already.  Shall add it to Skip's diet forthwith.  And my own ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »
Thanks all.

Do you get the tumeric from the supermarket?

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:41:13 pm »
How much did you give the dog WBF? A sprinkle is a little vague and I dont want to over do it. If i did a quarter of a tea spoon for medium sized dog?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:20:32 pm »

This is the type of thing we had to dry off wet dogs. Works really quickly. Brilliant to put on before putting a wet dog in the car too. Easily washed. I also read in a shooting magazine that chamois cloths are better to dry wet dogs than towels.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:03 am »
Aldi or lidl have currently got some of those microfibre sport towels for a few quid, I was considering one as a dog towel. Supposed to be very effective and quick drying.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:05 am »
Equafleece are fab for drying dogs but keeping them warm at the same time. I've quite a few drying coats for our spaniels and the equafleece is the best by far. The other one I really like is the Thermatex but it doesn't cover the tummy or front legs, but is made from wool so really warm. I would say walk your dog but just make sure he doesn't get cold or stiff when he gets home, a raised bed might help too? Just to keep him off the floor.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 11:39:56 am »
Another point - if you're putting a dog into it's bed, even after drying off, there could still be residual dampness, so whatIi do is put a thick towel on their bed on top of their bedding, then remove it after say 15 minutes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS