Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping large fowl & bantams together  (Read 2548 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Keeping large fowl & bantams together
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:28:00 am »
I’m just after opinions really as I’m at some point going to have to downsize my flock due to a change in property ( Not for around 12 months.)  I’ve already got breeds in mind for a fairly large pen for approx 10-12 hens that I can walk in & out of.  Now a couple of pekins are defo on my list along with a couple of medium sized breeds that I know will veg on fine, but I’d possibly like to add a pair of Orpington’s to the mix.

Now our all free range & sleep in a big shed at the moment & get on fine but it’s likely that these guys will just stay in this one patch, or some might on the odd occasion go on the lawn. So I want to be sure if I get big girls like Orpington’s I’m not going to be causing too much space issues. All the breeds I’ve gone for are pretty easy going & decent ish layers.

Opinions please guys.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Keeping large fowl & bantams together
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:53:01 am »
In my experience Pekin bantams can be very aggressive and large fowl Orpingtons very mild mannered, so it will be the Orpingtons that get bullied and be miserable as a result.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
I agree - it's why we now only breed large, soft-feathered fowl - don't need the hassle!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:21:16 am »
We  have a mixture of breeds, from Pekins to Brahmas.

They all get along fine and though the pekins have their own shed they sometimes choose to go to bed with the big fowl.

Ours free range however and I think there would be problems with bullying if they were in a shared run and housing on a permanent basis.

I think personally I'd go for similar sized birds or factor in separate houses and runs.

PS I never find our pekins to be aggressive and we've had cockerels living happily together too.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:40:52 am »
Well this is what I thought see I love both my pekins & my Orpington’s & never have problems with either & their the 2 best breeds I find out of several of ours for good layers. But I don’t want to introduce 2 big birds & cause a lack of space. They’ll probably have branches to roost on for enrichment / added space but I’ll be moving to a property where they can’t really free range, that will be a limited space & I can’t have cockerels.

Also any tips for keeping the nasties out? It will have doubled up, overhead & underground mesh & a sleeping compartment to go into at night. But I will have my dog & cats with me & there will always be the problems of rats,foxes & stoats / polecats eat trying to get in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS