Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The ivy is flowering  (Read 1835 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
The ivy is flowering
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:42:22 pm »
The drones should have been snuffed out by now , as we have had several single figure temperature nights on the trot.
The Ivy is now starting to  flower in my garden .. if I still had my bees I'd be looking in each hive very soon in between showers to check on how close the bees are to having a full brood box & a full super of honey /stored to see them through winter .

Then start  making up the syrup ready to feed them in a weeks time .

As we cannot sensibly long term forecast the weather , take what's happening in the USA as a gypsies warning .  For we tend to get their tail end storms & rains about 5 to 10 days later for the same length of time as they did .

Therefore may I suggest you don't leave it to the last minute , the Queen is still laying her over wintering replacement bees , so  getting the hive fully stocked with stores before any prolonged bad weather starts is essential .    If you ensure the bees have plenty of syrup close to hand to make their honey they can spend more valuable time between storms & rain etc collecting the late pollens for the vital bee bread to bring on the  new replacements for spring next year  .

We are still getting bees & wasps on the fuchsia shrubs , so in this area 2 bee space hive blocks will need to be in place till about the first average frost time.
 Then it's hive block out & mouse guard on .
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:29:29 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: The ivy is flowering
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:20 am »
Good reminder!
Tonnes of Ivy being brought in, took a little vid!
http://brixtonsbounty.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/heavy-ivy-pollen-harvests-being-brought.html

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS