Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clostridial injections?  (Read 1784 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Clostridial injections?
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:20 am »
Relatively new to keeping sheep.
We have 4 hebrideans who are thriving very well and a joy to have.
I recently read that before lambing people jab for clostridial diseases, is this a must do?? And if so what would be best to do them with?
Many thanks in advance

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Clostridial injections?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:46 am »
Heptavac P Plus is what you want, it will protect against a whole number of diseases that can affect both ewes and lambs. It's an insurance policy almost, as with most of the diseases it will protect against the first symptoms are death... pretty nasty. The pre lambing booster will give immunity to lambs through the ewe's milk for the first 6ish weeks of life. After that you need to get the lambs onto the system by 2 jabs 4-6wks apart. In order to get on the system the ewes will need 2 jabs of Heptavac 4-6 weeks apart, and then their annual booster at lambing. So if you get it done now, and then give them the pre lambing dose 4-6 wks before lambing begins, then in subsequent years you'll only need to do the lambing dose. The vaccine must be used within 8 hours of opening the bottle, so you'd need 2 bottles and the smallest bottle is 25 dose bottles unless you (or your vet) can find someone local who you could share with. The jabs go under the skin on the neck- a bit fiddly to do so I would suggest investing in the auto injector rather than using a needle and syringe- this will help reduce abscesses too as it sterilises the needle on each application. Definitely worth doing though, and the lambs too even if they are just going in the freezer.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
Thanks for that I shall look into the heptavac.
I was advised a vaccine called black leg also, does this do much the same job as the heptavac?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:16:28 pm »
Heptavac will prevent (amongst other things) against blackleg which is a disease (think I'm correct there).

This is what you need- it also lists all the diseases it protects against in the description. It might be worth seeing if a friendly farmer or your vet will show you how to administer it as it can cause abscesses if done incorrectly/unhygienically and can be a bit fiddly until you are confident in doing it.

http://m.molevalleyfarmers.com/h5/r/molevalleyfarmers/mvf/store/products/heptavac-p-plus

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »
Ovivac P Plus protects against the most common clostridial diseases (ones found everywhere in the lambs' environment):  Pasteurella, Tetanus, Braxy, Blackleg, Struck, Pulpy Kidney, Clostridial Metritis and Lamb Dysentery.  Note, only the "most common".  Atypical pneumonia is a pain and of particular concern at this time of year when the temperature's up and down like a yo-yo.  All our sheep get a booster when the ewes are done 4 weeks before lambing and the lambs get their first vaccination at around 8 weeks with the second 4 weeks later.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS