Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: renting an acre or two  (Read 7515 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: renting an acre or two
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
Freddy and Wooly first off I am sorry I missed your replies, I had set up notification on the threads but they have gone a bit amiss.

I might and could well take you up on your offers of visit and lambing, been over twenty years since I did lambing, guess they still come out the same hole  ;D Thing is joking apart until you revisit something you forget just how much you've forgot or realise how much you didn't know  ::)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:45 pm »
Oh peeps I'm really quite in a spot here  :(

I met up regards this acre of land I was going to rent and they suggested a rent of £100 a month  :o

Now i could do with some advice, No way am I paying that for an acre. But I do realise that with it being small, private and secure and there being established buildings etc I would probably pay a premium, but how much?

No Mains water or electric, Buildings are, small barn 3 section, feed store, few other sheds and a pig sty. Only wood frame and metal sheet, not great buildings but all usable and very handy.

They obviously are happy to move on a price, but neither of us can say an amount, Ill be back to try and negotiate again, in the mean time I'm looking for alternatives.

Gutted and a bit low, sorry to moan :-[, bloody illness and I thought I had found something to get up for and get intrested in  :(

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:54 pm »
noooooo that is horse rates!
there is plenty of folks in Somerset that will let you graze sheep for nothing other than keeping the grass down!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:30 am »
I agree with whoolyshepherd.

We moved to our smallholding last year and are taking things VERY slowly as it's all very new to us. We have five or six acres of well fenced grazing land that we're not doing anything with at the moment and I feel that our next door nieghbour is doing us a favour by putting his sheep on there.

After all - if they weren't there I would have to pay somebody to top the grass. There's no way I would charge him rent. In return he does our hedges for us and we get the odd bit of meat - some lovely well-hung beef last time.

We don't have a formal arrangement so I guess that's a vulnerability but he would have to have his sheep on there for ten years before he can claim the land for his own and he takes them off the land for a month a year.

I expect things in Cornwall are a bit different as it's so popular there.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 06:05:25 pm »
Thanks Woolly & Susanna,

I said immediately that I wouldn't pay that figure. I'm just down the road from Woolly in Somerset Suzanna, but just that bit to far away to take up on the grazing there, would be to far to do regular check etc; not to far to visit for lambing though  ;D :sheep:

I know that my mate rents 600 acres for £1'200 which is the same price as he wanted for the acre :D As I mentioned its almost like a small farm with the buildings all behind a rein and secure double gates. Its worth a rent for sure, pig sty means no arcs to buy, barn means lambing indoors, and dry stores on site for feed; just wondered what the rent should be? Remember I don't own a small holding and just looking for grazing; this gives me the whole package to base my self from, it even has its own number and not linked to his farm which means each other stops on movement wouldn't effect each other.

I just cant see negotiating from that offer to a realistic one, what ever that is  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »
We used to rent our 21 acres to a local farmer in Aberdeenshire for £85 an acre for cattle - for the season - so we got about £1200 and short grass, with the occasional roast of lamb or beef. In the winter she put sheep on it for nothing to top the grass so it would keep it good for next year.  No way should you pay anything like that for one acre - I might be willing to pay about £50 a month if it was right next to my house.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS