Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy Care  (Read 3478 times)

Saltrock

• Joined Jun 2017
Easy Care
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:24:58 am »
Hi Everyone,

Being new to sheep I'm considering buying about 20 Easycare ewes/lambs to start me off. I wonder if anyone knows of a good source near Gower in South Wales? Also, any advice about my choice, as I'm still open to other breeds?

Thanks in advance.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Easy Care
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:37 am »
PM sent :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 04:54:07 pm »
You'll find as many opinions on this subject in past posts as there are native sheep breeds.  If entirely new to sheep keeping the first step I'd recommend is Tim Tyne's Sheep Book for Smallholders.  The second is to get some store wether lambs and take them to slaughter weight as a toe-in-the-water exercise with no chance of getting too sentimental about them and keeping them to breed from.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:13:16 pm »
I agree with Marches Farmer. 20 seems a lot to start with. Do you have any experience with sheep? if not, 4-5 might be more manageable. You would also need to do a fair amount of reading. The sheep section of this website is a very good starting point. :)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 07:59:29 am »
https://www.easycaresheep.com/easy-care-sheep-stock-for-sale

check the Easycare website , they have sales coming up

You may as well have 20 as 5 sheep ---go for it

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 08:32:26 am »
Do you have sufficient land for 60 sheep? ....you will soon have that number if you start with 20.  Also just to clarify (for anyone who doesn't know) easy care just means they don't need shearing .... They still suffer from everything else sheep suffer from !
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Saltrock

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:00 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I'm still undecided on breed (though I better get a shift on). I have a little experience, and my daughter has promised help - she works for the NT as a ranger in Brecon and has spent a couple of seasons helping a tenant with their lambing (100's), so that will be a help. As to the numbers - apart from my own 4.5 acre field, my Father in law is happy for them to follow on grazing after his cattle, which theoretically gives me access to about 90 - 100 acres. :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:19 am »
If you want them at home for lambing, then think about how many ewes with twins you can comfortably manage in your 4.5 acres.  Depending on the ground, 20 might be pretty much max, I would think.  I think I'd probably start with 10 - after one lambing, even if you only like half the girls, you'd be up to 15 keepers already.   ;).

On choice of breed, if you think there's any chance you or your missus might decide to spin :spin: or make other use of their fleece, don't choose Easy Care!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:11:13 am »
Thanks for all your replies. I'm still undecided on breed (though I better get a shift on). I have a little experience, and my daughter has promised help - she works for the NT as a ranger in Brecon and has spent a couple of seasons helping a tenant with their lambing (100's), so that will be a help. As to the numbers - apart from my own 4.5 acre field, my Father in law is happy for them to follow on grazing after his cattle, which theoretically gives me access to about 90 - 100 acres. :farmer:

Just make sure it's fenced properly for sheep- ours follow cattle but the fencing is not always sheep proof even though it keeps the cows in. My sheep are used to electric now, just keeps them off the hedges a bit especially in spring. I started out with 9 ewes lambing in my first year- 2 were empty so they went in the cull pens. I didn't keep any of the lambs, all were killed more because I want to get my ewe flock up to standard and cull hard before I start keeping any lambs to breed from, rather than keeping anything with ovaries and then finding they have problems later on in life. Therefore I bought another 6 purebred ewes this year and will lamb 12 (!) next spring... increasing slightly year on year.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:13:49 am by twizzel »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 10:22:27 am »
I agree with Sally.  They're best kept in-bye for lambing if you don't have sheds, so you'll need to think about shutting up the field for early Spring grazing, depending on when you intend to lamb and how early the grass generally starts to grow in your area.  We lamb indoors and shut up our turn-out field in late September, so the grass grows slowly through the Winter and we avoid grass staggers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS