Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pink Eye  (Read 3410 times)

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
Pink Eye
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:22 pm »
Some of my flock had pink eye a couple of months  ago and were treated by the vet with antibiotics and eye cream all healed all fine then a couple of weeks later three of the ones treated have been hit again. Treated with more antibiotics and eye cream healed up all fine now this week four weeks after second out break have come down with it again .All I have read said they build up immunity to it but these three two of this years lambs and the Ram don't seem to be what can I do.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Pink Eye
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:22:25 pm »
Have a look at VETERICYN  has many types some specifically for eyes . W hen you say vet gave ab was it IM or in the eyelid ?    Never had sheep keep getting infected normally treat only once some times get a repeat infection but very few .   Have heard engemycin  being diluted with sterile water and sprayed in the eye ?

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »
Afraid that my whole flock had a Summer (or more like a year) of continually getting it.  This included my ram, ewes and lambs.  I treated with Alamycin LA and orbenin cream and was even thinking of culling the whole lot as it just seemed to be going on and on.  Anyway, (fingers crossed) but I am happy to report 3 years or so with no outbreaks, and my flock of ewes is more or less the same.  In my opinion it might have been spread by flies as it coincided with a very mild Winter and I seem to recall that that that Summer was terrible for fly-strike.  If I have it in my flock again I might consider using a fly repellant like Spot-on to see if it makes any difference.  I feel your pain, I shudder when I look back at my meds book and see all the entries and the fact that I had some animals getting it more than once.  In my opinion you do need to treat promptly as they look so miserable when they have it and the damage can be long term if left untreated. 
Helen

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:28:34 pm »
By the way, I wasn't implying that you weren't treating your animals promptly.  I did wonder if I was treating mine too promptly with AB but I don't think that it tends to get better by itself. 
Helen

bugsym00

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
thanks both yes Heln we used the same Anti biotic and treat as soon as we see it just everything you read says they get immunity glad Im not the only one this has happened to and good to see light at the end of the tunnel

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:13:06 pm »
I only treat if prolonged or the eye is looking sore. They get better on their own.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 07:43:00 pm »
This might explain "   Early treatment can aid recovery and reduce the number of Pinkeye infected sheep in the flock but treated sheep are more likely to relapse and become re infected than untreated sheep "               I assume untreated sheep  get  more time for the body to recognize  and build some form of defence  and  build future immunity

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:52:36 pm »
Have had a sheep who continued to succumb from time to time whilst everyone else remained fine. I assumed they were in some way immune compromised.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:00:15 pm »
 In the same article it says that  full immunity lasts  about a year

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »
I am not sure how you can leave for it to get better by itself.  Does anyone know if this just applies to mildly affected animals?  With mine, I found that if I left them they started looking very sorry for themselves, clearly not being able to see and in pain.  My ram in particular was a very sorry sight with completely cloudy eyes with lots of discharge.  I have seen lots of cases in veterinary textbooks of ulcerated eyes where the sheep have become permanently blind.  My ewes haven't now had it for 3 years (touch wood) and I am hoping that it won't return as I had more or less 9 months of it being an issue and even considered culling the lot.
Helen

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:20 am »
I will treat if there are signs of secondary infection ie cruddy  discharge; or pain, heavy blinking squinting or any signs that the animal has changed its behaviour as a result of the eye infection ( ie not eating withdrawing, holding head on one side etc)
If both eyes are affected ( which  in my flock is exceptional)  then I treat.
As a rule  the temporary loss of vision  without treatment lasts as long  or as short as with treatment and I don't use this as an indication for treatment. 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:18 pm »
Many years ago I had pink eye in hill ewes and trying to catch was very dangerous for the sheep and dogs , so I gave up and left them , all came off the hill later with no ill effects .   I personally only ever treated double blinds or ones with ulcers ,  most come right in 10 -14 days  on their own

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS