Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hiring a field as secure dog exercise pen  (Read 9730 times)

anitasam

• Joined Aug 2017
Re: hiring a field as secure dog exercise pen
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:27:09 am »
I do know of a farmer who was running something similar and didn t inform the council and got shut down as they said planning permission for change of use was needed-that`s why I`m cautious and would like to make sure all the rules were followed. Maybe they used agricultural land rather than one used for animals if that`s a real rule!

anitasam

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:52 am »
Regarding livestock worrying the field used is completely secure, accessed from a road and the dogs would therefore not be anywhere near livestock and I would suggest the small parcel of land used was not used for cattle for several years after the activity was finished. I really think with planning the idea shouldn t impact negatively on the running of a smallholding but be a stream of extra income with minimal effort. The one I go to operates as a livery so they are there all the time ( their land is not where their house is) so they are effectively doubling their income. The horses are not disturbed at all by the dogs exercising even though they can see them.

anitasam

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:07 am »
Thanks for the suggestion about contacting someone who has set up well away from my area- it led me to dogwalkingfields website where they talk you through how to do this step by step.

thanks to everyone who replied to me

if anyone has any ideas about how to find a smallholding with lots of passion and ideas but very little money please let me know! ( not seriously expecting any possibilities)  :wave:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 09:20:10 am »
There are footpaths across farmland where literally dozens of dogs will be walked across. No control on worming or poo picking. If not agricultural use then I would assume planning permission needed.  Good idea to talk to other people doing it. 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32:02 am »

if anyone has any ideas about how to find a smallholding with lots of passion and ideas but very little money please let me know! ( not seriously expecting any possibilities)  :wave:

The above sounds like all of us!

I dont think you have said where you are.

As for planning .... yes a livery would be fine as land is not 'agricultural'  any other farm land (or smallholding) would probably require change of use as.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:21 am »
I do know of a farmer who was running something similar and didn t inform the council and got shut down as they said planning permission for change of use was needed-that`s why I`m cautious and would like to make sure all the rules were followed. Maybe they used agricultural land rather than one used for animals if that`s a real rule!

In which case then surely the best thing to do is phone the council and ask?  :thinking:

anitasam

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 10:16:07 am »
Yes, I ve contacted the council by email and the dogwalkingfield site has info on health & safety, planning regs.... everything I need to know.

I`m to the north of sheffield

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 11:30:52 am »
There are footpaths across farmland where literally dozens of dogs will be walked across. No control on worming or poo picking.

Yes, and the slaughterhouse lab reports on lambs grazed on such ground will find tenuicious cysts from time to time  :rant:  (Ask me how I know ::))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 11:43:06 am »
There are footpaths across farmland where literally dozens of dogs will be walked across. No control on worming or poo picking.

Yes, and the slaughterhouse lab reports on lambs grazed on such ground will find tenuicious cysts from time to time  :rant:  (Ask me how I know ::) )

It only takes one unwormed dog to affect the majority of sheep in a field according to one of our local farm vets

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
Secure dog fields are the future for anyone with a 1 - 3 acre field.   £10 per hour, 8 hours a day 7 days a week - why would you farm???  Insurance and Planning permission definitely required but I would say worth it.  However if land is rented you would need to secure a tenancy for quite a few years to make it worthwhile.

So - how many dogs /day do you reckon you'd get at £10/hour and 8 hours a day? 80? From one local area? (I assume you're not suggesting that anyone is going to pay £10/hour for exclusive use of the field on a daily basis?)
I don't believe there are that many people prepared to pay for somewhere to exercise their dogs every day.
And how would you charge them? A yearly fee of £365? Can see that going down well as a lump sum payment :innocent:  Or would you spend your entire time collecting small amounts from people? Even collecting 80 payments once a month would be a hassle. And how would you police those that hadn't paid? I'm afraid that dealing with large numbers of the general public is incredibly stressful. :gloomy:

For the reasons already mentioned it is in practical terms a none starter. The field would soon be full of dog muck (because many people don't pick up) It would be a reservoir for disease (because of the numbers involved), and the public liability aspect would be almost impossible to quantify (my dog wouldn't hurt anything!) :eyelashes:
In addition the field would require cutting regularly and I personally would not want my machinery coated in excrement  :poo:  to be passed on to other fields where my livestock graze.
So I don't believe I'm alone in saying that as a farmer I can think of few uses for my land that carry less appeal. Farming isn't all about making money - it's about job satisfaction and way of life. :farmer:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:31:55 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 03:31:10 pm »
Secure dog fields are the future for anyone with a 1 - 3 acre field.   £10 per hour, 8 hours a day 7 days a week - why would you farm???  Insurance and Planning permission definitely required but I would say worth it.  However if land is rented you would need to secure a tenancy for quite a few years to make it worthwhile.

So - how many dogs /day do you reckon you'd get at £10/hour and 8 hours a day? 80? From one local area? (I assume you're not suggesting that anyone is going to pay £10/hour for exclusive use of the field on a daily basis?)
I don't believe there are that many people prepared to pay for somewhere to exercise their dogs every day.
And how would you charge them? A yearly fee of £365? Can see that going down well as a lump sum payment :innocent:  Or would you spend your entire time collecting small amounts from people? Even collecting 80 payments once a month would be a hassle. And how would you police those that hadn't paid? I'm afraid that dealing with large numbers of the general public is incredibly stressful. :gloomy:

For the reasons already mentioned it is in practical terms a none starter. The field would soon be full of dog muck (because many people don't pick up) It would be a reservoir for disease (because of the numbers involved), and the public liability aspect would be almost impossible to quantify (my dog wouldn't hurt anything!) :eyelashes:
In addition the field would require cutting regularly and I personally would not want my machinery coated in excrement  :poo:  to be passed on to other fields where my livestock graze.
So I don't believe I'm alone in saying that as a farmer I can think of few uses for my land that carry less appeal. Farming isn't all about making money - it's about job satisfaction and way of life. :farmer:

If people are already doing this there is a market. Five dogs a day is £250 a week. The OP already said you need vaccination certs and have to pick up poo. If you didn't poo pick then I guess you wouldn't be allowed back. Is it anymore a disease risk than a kennel exercise area, public park, open fell etc? Nobody would want to run their dog in a field full of poo either.

Yes, farming is about job satisfaction and a way of life but I have been around farmers all my life and haven't met one yet that can manage without the money.

No-one with any sense is going to turn over acres of good pasture land to this but I am sure there is small plots of land attached to places which aren't much use for farming and if it earned you £250 a week I think it is worth looking at.

I dealt with the public for years and yes, they are highly demanding and stressful at times but then it paid the bills so you learn to deal with it.

People with horses pay £10 an hour to ride in some areas where there are no other public paths they can use.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 05:20:23 pm »
I never even knew that these existed until recently.

My niece homed a rescue greyhound at Christmas. She has travelled quite a distance to one of these secure fields in order to give him the chance for some off lead exercise. Not a daily or even weekly thing because of the distance but I'm guessing that if it were closer she'd be willing to make it a weekly thing and happy to pay the money.

Good idea I think.

I would imagine that most people who think enough of their dogs to pay the £10 would be the type of people more than happy to clean up after them.

Field wouldn't be used for stock anyway so that risk wouldn't be a factor. Not sure how long the risk remains for if the field usage changes back to stock?

Fencing cost would surely be high initially? Dogs using it are in general going to be the ones with poor recall of sight hounds.

I suppose it depends what type of agriculture was going on I the fields around the plot but might not be a popular venture with neighbours particularly if you were in the middle of sheep country.

Interesting venture. Let us know how it goes.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »
So...do you have to sit at the gate all day collecting money? If not how would you stop people helping themselves  :thinking:

I'm sure there's a market for it but unsure how you'd police it effectively

Definitely keep us updated  :thumbsup:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 07:06:27 pm »
If the OP gets her own smallholding she can let the field out to suit. Otherwise you have a padlock with a combination lock that you change the combination on. You book, pay and get the combination.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:09 pm »
I think a lot of contributors to this thread haven't grasped the concept!  This is certainly viable if in the right area.  I have two within 20 minutes drive of me and they get booked up very quickly - you have to wait a week to get on.  Its £5 for half an hour.  The land is not going to be grazed, so all your worries about poo are unfounded - but of course people have to pick up.  The costs of fencing and insurance may be prohibitive for some, but it is do-able.  One of our local ones has opened a second field next door because they get so booked up.  This isn't a mad idea, so maybe think twice before poo-pooing other people's plans.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS