Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When should we start to see a visible difference?  (Read 2307 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
When should we start to see a visible difference?
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:22:40 pm »
We Purchased our 3 Large black girls on 25th June.  Two were wearers and one (Clarissa) as a in pig guilt.

We were told that she had been at a friends with his boar and had not come back into season on the friday before so they were happy she was in pig. This would mean that she was served on 2nd June, making 116 days  the 26th September.

She is our first litter as we have only ever had wearers before, so starting to think now at what point should we start to see a change in her physically as at the moment i can't really see any signs of her mid rift expanding etc.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Louise

So many ideas, not enough hours

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: When should we start to see a visible difference?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:14:13 pm »
She should be changing shape now and there should be a noticeable difference in her teats. Her vulva should be changing too. Large Blacks are generally very milky mothers.

With a first time gilt and even an older sow just because they don't come into season the next time round after service is no guarantee of being in pig. I would especially keep a close eye on first timers every three weeks for the first few times after service.

No-one can guarantee a pig has held that early on. She may have held to that service and broke later.

Have you got piccies?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 06:32:07 pm »
Did she stay with the boar for the three weeks after being served?

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:01:38 pm »
Will take a photo in the morning,
I don't know if she stayed with the boar, she certainly stayed at the sellers friend where the boar was (if that makes sense!)
thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:41:07 pm »
You may be able to see a distinct line from the middle front of her upper back legs curving down to her belly about a third of the way along her teat line from the back.  The vulva may start to enlarge and look softer around three weeks before farrowing.  In a gilt the teats may enlarge slightly or may look more or less the same.  Nearer the time you may be able to see the piglets moving if she's lying on her side.  You note I use the word "may" rather a lot.  Her appearance will, of course, depend very much on how many she's carrying - two will be barely discernible, twelve rather more so.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 02:06:33 pm »
Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get a photo and upload it  :innocent: .  I think if the seller was right she should be about 80 days now. I can't see anything different about her but she this would be her first litter.

Any comments?

Thank you

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »
Apologies I had forgotten we are still in August and was thinking she was due this month not next!  :coat: However, from your picture I wouldn't be hopeful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS