Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permanent Pasture  (Read 2569 times)

ForagersJen

• Joined Aug 2017
Permanent Pasture
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:25:13 pm »
Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing a few acres of 'permanent pasture' - but I could do with some advice on what this actually means - the council website is not overly helpful - does anyone have any experience putting veg/flower production on permanent pasture - as I'm sure you can change the use?

thanks in advance
ForagersJen

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Permanent Pasture
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:02:09 am »
No idea what definition of permanent pasture is, but shouldn't be an issue with conversion for horticultural use.  It is not a "change of use" for planning purposes. That said, if land is adjacent your residential property, the planning officer will be wary of anything that seems like an extension to your "garden". 
I bought 3 ha of pasture land ever-since used for grazing/hay (albeit reseeded many many years ago) to convert to horticultural use.  I submitted a "Do I need planning permission" request:  the response said it involved a "change of use" which would, in itself, require approval, but that advice was incorrect and I responded accordingly. (I never received an acknowledgment!).  When it came to the actual planning application for support facilities there was not the slightest reference to a "change of use" by the Planning Officer, which is as I expected.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS