Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Painting harling  (Read 3274 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Painting harling
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:10:36 am »
Hi
We are wanting to get our harled cottage painted but it seems as though normal paints are out for this, and that we should use breathable paints only? can anyone verify this please?

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Painting harling
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:11:41 pm »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »
thanks zebedee-it gets more complicated since I posted. the house was (poorly) painted before we bought it and its highly doubtful that breathable paint/limewash was used (certainly doesnt look like limewash). We've had some harling replaced so now have patches of unpainted harling. my understanding is that limewash etc wont cover existing paint?

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:46 pm »
If it's some horrible, so-called weatherproof paint you've got on there, try and scrape it off first. Or just live with it for a while longer and let it weather away. I tried jetting some paint off my old natural stone walls (Dorset) but ended up pitting the soft sandstone. Also watch your step with 'Breathable'. The term is bandied about almost to the point of meaninglessness. Find a simple, natural lime wash and stick with that. 

I'm guessing, but there must be tons of lime wash paint suppliers in Scotland you could choose from given the prevalence of natural building materials.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:15 pm »
When we did our annual lime rendering inside the cattle buildings, inclucing the parlour, we bought sacks of hydrated lime from a builders merchant.  Mixed with water and put on with a yard brush.  You had to be careful not to breath the powder and to wear long sleeves and gloves to avoid skin contact.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:45:31 pm »
Harling is done with cement (at least in modern buildings) so is there any advantage to using lime or something breathable?  (It is understandable using it for painting stone walls that have lime mortar but that's different from a harled wall).

I just used exterior masonry paint.

Having written that I see that the sandtex paint I used is actually breathable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS