Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm fluke and sheep scab  (Read 3226 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Worm fluke and sheep scab
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:22:31 pm »
Hi folks just wondering what is the preferred worm and fluke and sheep scab medication?
Looking to do mine before tupping.
Many thanks

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Worm fluke and sheep scab
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:31 pm »
I'm interested in this i was about to ask the same question !
From what I gather it preferred not to use a combined worm and fluke treatment so I was thinking of a fluke drench and then an injectable wormer which often also covers sheep scab for pre-tupping. But my next question was whether people routinely use preventative for scab ??????????

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »
Dectomax, Cydectin 1% and 2% (but be careful, one of these mustn't be used if sheep have had footvax) amongst others in the clear wormer group that cover scab. Shouldn't really need to do it routinely unless you have a suspicion, as part of a quarantine period,  or if they haven't been treated as per quarantine treatment when they came onto the farm. http://www.scops.org.uk/content/Know-Your-Anthelmintics-2012.pdf

Going to fluke my ewes with fasinex but they shouldn't need worming until after lambing now.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:07:35 pm by twizzel »

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:38 pm »
Why not discuss a health plan for your sheep   with your vet then they will advise when and what to use.!?!?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:03:47 pm »
Worming and fluke plan best discussed with vet for your area.  As far as I know there's not protection for scab just treatment if they get it,  eg Dectomax gives 7 day protection so no point at all unless you have it.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
Thanks guys - I might just FEC and fluke pre-tupping. We only have 6 ewes at the minute so didn't want to spend hundreds on a flock health plan at the vets.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:54:27 am »
My vet does not charge for a bit of advice on health planning, unless I want him here to sit down and go through everything then he would charge his time.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 08:35:40 am »
Thanks folks, so is it mainly just fluke them pre tupping

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
Thanks folks, so is it mainly just fluke them pre tupping
Yes that's what I would do :-) and fluke again during the winter. It's been a wet mild summer so expect fluke to be bad this autumn/winter

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
Dectomax is very popular for   new rams    quarantine period as it comes in 50 ml bottles it is a good wormer and IF your ram arrives with scab  it will kill it , and since you won't know you have scab  until it has infected all  then its  a sensible approach .    Do you need a flukicide  not every one does  and if you do then you need more than just a couple of doses

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »
The person I bought the sheep from said they were fluke wormed and scabbed but to fluke them again pre tupping.
Just really want to make sure I'm doing everything right

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS