Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: space for happy pigs.  (Read 2850 times)

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
space for happy pigs.
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
I have just aquired an old bodega, 4.5 x 3.5 m square, with an attached yard of 4.5 x 8 m, high walled but no roof, with around 1000m2 of semi open woodland (chestnut and oak with sycamore I intend to pollard).  Opinions please.  How many pigs would be appropriate, bearing in mind I would intend the bodega to be a closed sleeping area and the yard for bad weather (soil floor).  I am confused as to whether I have to follow indoor space guidlines for the sleeping area if I am intending that they spend most of the time outdoors.  Hope that's clear....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: space for happy pigs.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »
I think your question is not how many pigs you can keep in this area but what are you going to do with the pigs long term and what market have you got for them? Because you could have enough room for way more pigs then you can use in your freezer, afford to feed or have a market for.

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:23 pm »
I would like initially to have 3 for us, but I would like to breed my own in time, raising british lops for the local expat market - so one litter per year?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:44:04 pm »
There are a number of posts on here regarding starting with pigs and a number of excellent books - I suggest Pig Keeping by Richard Lutwyche.  I also suggest starting with a dry lie, secure fencing, unlimited clean water and appropriate feed and the help of the reputable pig-keeper from whom you've purchased a couple of weaners.  Start small and gain experience before even thinking about breeding.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:01:20 pm »
Completely agree with MF's post above.

Three pigs will give you a LOT of pork!

Where do you live?

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »
Northern Spain, the Ribeira Sacra.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 06:41:20 pm »
It will add considerable cost to a sow if you are going to import into Spain from the UK. How will you then get her served after she litters. AI is a possibility but whether you could get the semen on time from Deerpark is something else you would need to look into.

As a Lop breeder I would recommend them for many reasons but you might find a better approach would be to talk to the BPA and see if there are any traditional breeders in Spain or Europe who might be able to sell you an in pig gilt/sow but also have a boar for future litters. I am not aware of any Lops in Europe.

Unless cost is not an issue I would look for local pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS