Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Watch Out for Flystrike  (Read 3765 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Watch Out for Flystrike
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:19 am »
Very humid here on Friday, although not particularly hot.  Lambs with sound feet and clean back ends.  Four weeks still to go on Clik.  Noticed a couple of lambs with damp looking patches on their backs.  Kept an eye on them for a few minutes and, yup, greenbottles landing on them.  Got them in the shed, slipped away all the wool from a wide strip around the damp patch, then poured on a mix of 100ml Jeyes Fluid, 100ml Dettol in a litre of water.  A couple of dozen older maggots and then 49 gazillion tiny ones wriggled out, probably only a day old. Gave lambs antibiotic and painkiller. Now in shed cudding. You have been warned!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Watch Out for Flystrike
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:42:52 am »
Thank you Marches Farmer.  It's easy to forget about them and rely on the Crovect, Clik or whatever, but we should always be vigilant.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:39 pm »
I can add to this, ours were coming to the end of their crovect cover last weekend, one had a dried mucky bum so I thought i'd clip the fleece mucky fleece away in preparation, I thought I'd leave the crovect until the monday as we had other things on the Sunday, noticed the lamb stamping his back foot a couple of time on the Monday so caught him again - poor thing was infested with tiny maggots ! It was only 24 hours previously clipped the fleece and there was nothing there ! Next time I will be crovecting slightly early !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:10 am »
I'm just about to Clik all our lambs again, irrespective of it being "early". 

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:03:39 pm »
I did mine with Crovect last weekend as the 6 weeks cover was coming to an end , found one lamb that had been struck, caught just in time. :relief:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:15:59 pm »
900feet up in the Pennines we thought we may get away with not cliking ours this year - all fine till now but had two struck this week.  Sunshine and showers for the last couple of weeks plus bringing them down to slightly lower ground hasn't helped.  We are carefully watching them twice a day and will move them back up hill at the weekend.  Some are nearly weight so we don't want to clik if we can help it.  Its a tense time....
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:49 pm »
Old shepherd could use clikzin much shorter withdrawal or just watch very closely as you said.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:46:18 am »

Hot 'n' humid here too in the valleys --- 1200 lambs and their mums, no one treated with any fly chemicals yet and no strike  ;)
And no wool worries either  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:17:02 am »
Sunday, 2 lambs with strike on their backs, trimmed round, doused with Jeyes,  I'm sure I've got them all, but can you put crovect on when they are wet or rain forecast?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:09:00 pm »
Damp sheep yes helps it spread , wet or rain forecast in next 4hrs it will just wash off . When you apply crovect to a dry fleece  if you touch it the next day its still damp .

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »
Thanks Shep, so if it's just drizzle it would be OK?
Got the worst one inside with one to worm, is it OK to worm (Rycoben) and Crovect at same time, or would that be too much chemical for her.
Finally managed to weigh them, about 28kg.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:02:52 pm »
WORM AND CROVECT  together no problem , if you already have them inside then spray them and keep them inside overnight  , this gives it time to dry .  OK with drizzle  but better totally dry

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
Thanks shep, i was wondering about the best time to do the others, rain looks to be going to get worse over the week, so today would be best I think.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. Dealt with an early fly strike this morning

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:39:29 pm »
I'm guessing that in very humid conditions the fly eggs hatch so quickly there's not enough time for the inhibitor in the pour-on to work.  Haven't seen any flystrike since but humidity's been much lower here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS