Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: freezing eggs  (Read 4222 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
freezing eggs
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »
has anyone tried freezing eggs? I've just given it a go, dividing the white between two ice cubes compartments in a tray and the yolk into another, but have no idea what to expect from the process, or even whether I should then cook them from frozen or thaw them before using. Any advice you can offer would be gratefully received  :hug:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: freezing eggs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:33:18 pm »
Have a mate who is a chef and he freezes eggs all the time,he cracks the eggs whole into a plastic tupperware type container and freezes for upto a year,also freezes them seperate..whites in 1 tub, yolk in another for recipes that only require whites or yolk.

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:56:38 pm »
I freeze them when I have too many and then thaw and use them in baking when the girls are taking a break from laying in winter. I think scrambled eggs would be good too but not tried it from frozen. The texture of the yolk I find can become more solid so not tried it for fried either but I have heard of a chef freezing eggs not quite fully poached and then serving large numbers of perfectly poached eggs quickly by finishing them off together in boiling water. I store them by lining a smallish pot with a couple of layers of clingfilm then cracking a number of eggs in: measured with the correct weight for a sponge cake. the package is secured by twisting the clingfilm edges with a bag twist fastener. It is then frozen still in the pot. The packages are transferred to a carrier bag once frozen and the pot reused. I already have a couple of carrier bags full for winter.

:thumbsup:
Helen

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »
scrambled are ok frozen but with boiled eggs the whites tend to go rubbery + tough but the yolks of boiled eggs freeze ok,fried eggs freeze ok also but are not as crisp as when made fresh,I usually put them in the Rayburn oven when its really hot for a few minutes.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
We've frozen eggs in their shells before now, and found that they tasted just fine after six months in the freezer. Any longer than that, and they weren't very good at all, having gone all rubbery and a bit addled looking.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 08:21:12 am »
thanks all! that gives me plenty to work with - esp freezing them in cake size packages and already cooked in one form or another. Womble, did your whole eggs not explode? that's what I read would happen if you just put them in the freezer.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:14 am »
whatever you do don't confuse frozen egg whites for ice cubes  and add them to your drink. You end up with a  very weird texture.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:14 am »
After struggling to get them out of the ice trays, I now see the wisdom of your clingfilm-lined pot Helen! I'll follow your method next time  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS