Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More on runner beans  (Read 2083 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
More on runner beans
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:30:07 pm »
I've probably written this before but..
runner beans more versatile than folk think.. As I understand it the flowers are used as a salad addition in canada.. I've eaten them too; a slightly nutty taste, quite nice. North america northern parts use the beans as an alternative in Lima Bean recipes when too far north to grow those. I have a friend in california that didn;t realise you could eat the beans and grows them as a climbing flower. The aztecs used to eat the roots as a  root crop and also you can lift the roots and store them like dhalias and replant the next year - not that that's worth the bother with indoor germination but might give an earlier crop.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: More on runner beans
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:21 pm »
Interesting about  using the roots for next years crop .
 I may just try that .
The last couple of years I've used a teaspoon full of the mychrosial ( SP ) fungi down each planting hole .
The roots were a good 15 inches across and all were thickly covered in the normal nitrogen nodules . This natural nitrogen in th soil gave most of my brassica's a real boost after transplanting them to the bean sites .

I can store the haulms ( correct name ? )  boxes in moist peat or sand in a frost free place .... I'll give it a go &  see how it works out  .
 Do you know if I'll need to give them a dusting of flowers of sulphur to keep mould away ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:54 pm »
I've never tried storing them myself.. I did go as far as dig some roots up to think about eating them but they looked too thin to bother after peeling - perhaps the aztecs didn't peel them - hunger makes one less fussy. My aged neighbour of old used to just wrap his dhalias in newspaper in a box in his shed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:48:01 pm »
I grow my runners in a polytunnel, and leave the roots in the ground for the nodules.  Often in the spring a fair number regrow.  However, they have multiple stems which are rather spindly and don't grow as quickly as those started new from seed.  So other than as an interesting experiment I would say it's not worth the effort.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS