Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder balm v teat spray  (Read 3078 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Udder balm v teat spray
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:22 pm »
Hi folks - would anyone care to give their preferences and say why please, I'd be very interested? Also wanted to add that I make my own moisturising cream from olive oil, grape seed oil beeswax and water and have used it for years - so my udder balm would be just that with lavender and tea tree oil. I've also been looking at making teat spray from water and essential oils rather than any commercial product.

The reason I'm asking is that I've read some comments (not here) that udder balm (presumably a commercial variety)  could still attract bacteria as its being rubbed in, whereas teat spray applies antimicrobial properties without using hands or fingers.

I know some folk use teat dip but I'm not interested in that. Thanks for any replies  :D
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Udder balm v teat spray
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
The reason why teat dipping is important is that the teat canal stays open for a wee while after milking and it is a quick way for bacteria into the udder - and mastitis is more likely. Since I have started rigorously teat dipping (using a weak solution of Capriclense) I have had no mastitis.

I also use use udder cream - if the udder (in particular in 1st kidders) is a bit lumpy I use uddermint, or if the skin is just dry (and the goat in question got a bit sunburnt on her udder) I use a herbal cream, from Botanica (no peppermint). I don't use it all the time, and not usually on the teats.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:58:16 am »
I've only been milking for three months but I haven't used udder cream.

I dip with Capriclense.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:45:56 pm »
I know thsi is about goats but I have similar issues with our cows and we're just learning.

I teat dip with a solution of Capriclense before milking, then dry before putting on the machine. From what Anke is saying, and it makes perfect sense, I should teat dip with Capriclense AFTER milking to protect against mastitis.

Do I then dry and rub with balm or just rub on teh balm?

Two of my cows are fine, but poor Annie's calf is awful hard on her and her teats LOOK awful sore (she doesn't object to them being handled or the milking machine though). There are a number of cuts and that attracts flies. I use Uddermint on them all - any suggestions for anything better for Annie? I have Sudacrem in the feed store.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:45:35 pm »
Thanks folks for all the input, its really interesting to hear what people's preferences are. My kids are only a month old so no obvious damage noted to the teats and I understand their saliva has antimicrobial properties? So if the kids are staying with their mothers all day would the teats still be subject to nasties going up the teat canal?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:30:15 pm »
After milking I spray the bottom of the teat with a mix of water and citricidal grapefruit extract
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:48:48 pm »
I know thsi is about goats but I have similar issues with our cows and we're just learning.

I teat dip with a solution of Capriclense before milking, then dry before putting on the machine. From what Anke is saying, and it makes perfect sense, I should teat dip with Capriclense AFTER milking to protect against mastitis.

Do I then dry and rub with balm or just rub on teh balm?

Two of my cows are fine, but poor Annie's calf is awful hard on her and her teats LOOK awful sore (she doesn't object to them being handled or the milking machine though). There are a number of cuts and that attracts flies. I use Uddermint on them all - any suggestions for anything better for Annie? I have Sudacrem in the feed store.

I leave the Capriclense solution to dry by itself after applying post-milking. I use udder wipes (Teisen) before milking, sometimes more than one if one of my madams has been lying in some muck... so udder (and in particular teats) is clean before milking. I know the udder wipes are not that environmentally friendly, but I think they provide a cleaner outcome if you milk several goats (and I had 8 earlier this year...).

As to chapped teats etc, I would clean with something like Capriclense afterwards dry with a sterile cloth and then apply something soothing and anti-bacterial that also doesn't put the calf off - I don't know what exactly that would be as I take my kids off their dams on day 4 or even earlier if they cause damage to the teats. When I needed to get a cut healed on a 1st kidder a few years ago, I think I used nappy rash cream.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:40:23 am »
Can I ask what quantity of Capriclense to water for the diluted solution people use.
Thanks

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 02:03:55 pm »
1 part Capriclense to 200 parts water for teat dipping.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS