Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rockery ideas  (Read 2846 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Rockery ideas
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:48:06 pm »
I have a large rockery area which is in the most sunny part of the garden. People who used to live here before us haven't done anything to it so it's overgrown - thick grass, brambles, three massive rose bushes.
I have roses under control now but have no idea what to do about the grass. Sprayed it with roundup last year and this spring but it still looks the same. You can't really now it because of the rocks, tried with strimmer but it's not really working in long term.
Digging it over is very difficult as it's very hard compacted Leicestershire clay.
I planted some wild artichokes which have covered all the grass around them but we would like some more flowers and things which are smaller than artichokes (2 metres tall and covering the bedroom window!)
I'm thinking of planting some rhubarb and other plants with large leaves

What do you suggest?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rockery ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »
I had a similar problem - spoil heap from building a conservatory.  weeds galore and subsoil.  I spot sprayed nettles, grass, clover etc with weedkiller and vinegar alternately for a week, then when withering covered with bags of compost and planted groundcover in large clumps.(creeping jenny, Bugle), scattered poppy seeds, aquilegia seeds.   Every time I spotted another nettle popping through I sprayed again.  Then I planted bulbs, corms etc and a couple of shrubs - at last it's looking resonable but it's taken concentrated effort.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:20 pm »
Is it a proper landscaped rockery, or just a pile of rocks dumped higgledy-piggledy, plum pudding style?
Do you want to keep it as a rockery, or would you be happy to eliminate it and use it as, perhaps, a shrubbery, or for veg?  Have a good think about how you want it to look in the end, without being ruled by what was somebody else's vision many moons ago.

I'm going to say what I think you probably don't want to hear.  You can never get rid of couch and brambles from a pile of stones, or a properly designed rock garden either.  It becomes a never-ending war, the garden never looks right, and you will never be satisfied with it.

My suggestion is that this winter you dig out any plants you want to keep, make sure there are no perennial roots tangled with theirs, and plant them out somewhere else, or pot them up in buckets to put back once the work is done.   Then, dismantle the whole pile, remove it, dump it on the furthest bit of your land, or use it to reinforce a path, or whatever.
Then you have a flat piece of land, in the sunniest part of the garden, which is a blank canvas.

How about making an area where you can sit out for a coffee, lunch or to entertain friends?   Surround it with a couple of large beds filled with low maintenance perennials and ground cover, lovely scented flowers and so on, maybe climbers up an arch.  Suddenly your eyesore has become a lovely feature.
If you can use machinery to help you clear away what was there before, then it could be done in just a few days of hard work, but it would absolutely be worth the effort.  :garden:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »
Unfortunately for me most of the rockery's I've been involved with they were dogs graves under all manner of household rubbish & broken up concrete paths .

The worst was an old stonemason's yard .........  lovely rockery with huge stone & concrete blocks & iron work under a few inches of landscaped soil .

So take care when digging in the rockery , there  could be anything in there including lots of broken milk , beer & wine bottles
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 03:10:30 am »
Oh no! Quite negative replies - I'm afraid mines similar: mine was full of couch grass, ground elder, nettles, etc. I sprayed and pulled and dug for five years, but in the end dug it out. It hammered it in the first year and every spring, one year I ketp on wth roundup sprays, but always came back.  In theory repete sprays, then dig out roots of or spot spot treat any regrowth, but I spent SO many hours battling it and lost :-(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS