Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red clover and unmated cow?  (Read 2072 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Red clover and unmated cow?
« on: July 13, 2017, 03:47:53 pm »
Our Hillie (#1 Jersey) hasn't yet come a-bulling again.  I held off serving her after she had Flare (last July) until we had decided when we wanted to calve at the new place.

Well, I'm here now and we'd like to calve in March.  But no sure signs of bulling in June so that's not going to happen.  (I was away for 9 days so it may have happened while I wasn't here, and not been spotted.).

We've been struggling a bit for grass for them, so it could in part be lack of condition.  But for a lactating Jersey she seems fine.  She's giving between 7 and 11 litres a day (once a day milking), depending on forage and weather. 

There's a patch of ground almost entirely red clover.  (That and an understory of creeping buttercup. ::).). Remembering that clover produces oestrogen, and can make maiden gimmers grow udders, I have been reticent to put Hillie on there, in case it throws her hormones out of kilter.  But maybe it would give them a kick start?! 

Anyway, I can't find any info about the impact of red clover on heat in lactating cows. So I thought I'd ask TAS :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Red clover and unmated cow?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »
No idea! But intrigued. I know red clover is one of the human-remedies for...something. Menopause? Not sure what the intended / expected effect is. But if you've nothing to lose, so to speak, worth a try?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:58:34 am »
Do cows come into season when lactating? I know that red clover is strong enough throw out the balance of testosterone/oestrogen enough to make rams infertile!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:10:09 am »
Clover gave my mare haemorragic folicles so I expect it to do the same to cattle.  bj_cardiff yes cattle do come into season whilst lactating otherwise it would not be possible to calve every year.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:44 am »
Do cows come into season when lactating? I know that red clover is strong enough throw out the balance of testosterone/oestrogen enough to make rams infertile!
Yes, normally from 6 weeks after calving. Hence most have a calf a year, so bulling when their calf is 2-3mths old.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:34 am »
Clover gave my mare haemorragic folicles so I expect it to do the same to cattle.  bj_cardiff yes cattle do come into season whilst lactating otherwise it would not be possible to calve every year.

Lol, oh dear, what a stupid thing to say.. I must of been thinking back to an earlier thread about sheep not coming into season while lactating.. it was quite early when I typed..  :-\

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
The research on red clover is a bit hit and miss - some farmers reporting no reproductive problems and good liveweight gains, while others have found fertility problems. I imagine it depends how much you feed and what varieties.
I personally would give the red clover a miss and get the vet to give Hillie an injection. At least that way you will know when to expect her to come on heat.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS