Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best way to dry off ewes?  (Read 2694 times)

angusrr

• Joined Jun 2017
best way to dry off ewes?
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:39:47 pm »
I will be weaning the lambs in a weeks time. all pasture is good quality this year. what do people think is the best way to dry off ewes after weaning?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: best way to dry off ewes?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:10:07 pm »
The best way, as in the least stressful all round, is to leave them with the dam until she weans them herself, usually done by 5 months.  This still gives her time to regain her conformation before going to the tup again.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:27:10 pm »
Mine are coming in for a few days on straw and a mineral bucket as we have no bare paddocks either. The lambs were born mid Feb-end of march and ewes going back to ram mid-end September.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:28:51 pm by twizzel »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:48:25 am »
If on good pasture the lambs should be suckling very little now, anyway.  I put my ewes on a small area of fairly rubbish grass for a day then let them out onto better grass. 

angusrr

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:00:41 pm »
thanks,
I have fenced off a shaded corner of a field where grass not so good. how long before I can let them back in together as I am keeping some of the ewe lambs?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 03:36:24 pm »
As long as possible, or the lambs may try to suckle their dams even if dry  which will be painful!  Our ewe lambs that are good enough to breed from don't rejoin the ewes until they're 18 months old and due to be tupped.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:05:53 am »
I rotate my fields so when its weaning time I graze the field a bit harder than usual, bring the ewes and lambs in, worm, crovect and treat any feet that need doing and put the ewes back out, lambs are kept separate on the best grazing I have for a few months.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS