Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Payment in kind for shearing  (Read 2427 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Payment in kind for shearing
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:53:04 pm »
My friend's dad is coming over to shear our 3 primitive sheep tomorrow. She says he doesn't want paying, but when I asked said he's partial to a glass of red or a wee dram and "something like that would go down very nicely".

This is our first year of sheep so I've no idea what the going rate for shearing is. If paying cash, what would I expect to pay for 3 sheep? Just want to make sure I get him a nice enough bottle!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Payment in kind for shearing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:02:17 pm »
£30 to set up, £1 each ewe. A nice bottle

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:56:51 am »
I paid £6.50/ewe but we had 20 sheared. I would say £30 is about right for a small number.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:34:50 am »
The nicer the bottle the keener he'll be to return next time!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:47:48 am »
I paid £25 for 20 but at the end of the day it is what it is worth to you that counts.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:26 am »
Don't forget the offer of tea or coffee and a big slab of homemade cake ....

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:10 am »
My advice to anyone who wants their sheep shorn more than once is to have them waiting for the shearer with empty bellies and to be pleasant. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:10:32 am »
Absolutely!  Also a power source for the kit, good lighting, level ground and something like an old dustsheet to put the fleeces on so they don't pick up crud from the ground

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:41 pm »
Our shearer wanted £5 per ewe if we had under 10 - the first year we had 6 done ..... This year we had 8 sheared and he wanted £20, I gave him £40 because he is very good, steady and gentle with our sheep and I think he more than deserves it.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 06:25:52 am »
My shearer has told me some real 'horror stories' about turning up to shear 2 or 3 sheep and taking an hour to catch them, no electric etc etc.

I pay £2 a sheep for roughly 30 of them and I give an extra £10 on top as a thank you, he also keeps the fleeces. Sheep are always penned in when he arrives and setting up is very quick as I've been using the same person for years so we all know where everything goes.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:10 am »
A local farmer does mine. I was asking 'down't pub' a few years ago if anyone knew a shearer and the lads fell over laughing when they learned it was just 5 sheep. Wynn offered to do them and has for the last few years. I get them penned between two gates over the stream and Wynn and his son  grab and shear. I show my appreciation with a bottle of spirits each and frequently buy them a beer if they're about on my weekly pub visit. There's a reasonable culture about making friends and helping each other out around here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS