Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing sheep for showing  (Read 6125 times)

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Preparing sheep for showing
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »
We are hoping to show our two Ryeland lambs next month, having never done this before, we aren't too clear on the processes and what is best to do.
We didn't Crovect them with the others because they weren't the right weight, though they are a lot nearer now; will this effect their showing potential?  I'd hate to put it on, then wash it off or put it on and risk impeding fleece quality...or not to put it on and risk the flies.  They are very clean though, not a bit of ming on their back ends!

What is it best to wash them in?  Do you use whitening things like on horse's socks? Do I need to tidy up their fleeces, or just leave them as is?  They're tidy but not as tidy as topiary!

I really have no idea! :dunce:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Preparing sheep for showing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:40 pm »
Try the Ryeland Flock Book Society, they might have guidance - different breeds have different show standards and approaches. Looking at the ones I've seen, they are washed and trimmed within an inch of their lives!!

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
Thanks, Rosemary.  I had a quick look and it was mostly breed standards, no presentation - I'll have another look again in case I've missed something!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »
Probably not - it's not the most informative site in the world.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:08 pm »
I think the norm with white ryelands is to trim for showing. Coloured ryelands, the approach at the moment is different in that you can trim or not as you wish and the judge if it's a ryeland class should not judge on whether they have been trimmed or not.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:36:47 am »
Your best bet is to talk to some other breeders in your area who show. Most are quite willing to give you some guidance - at least until you start beating them in the ring!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:16:54 pm »
wash them with Lux - it's specifically for wool and perfect for the job

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS