Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Get a decent crop from beans sown now?  (Read 1378 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Get a decent crop from beans sown now?
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
I've had rabbits in my veg patch  :rant:

They've done a lot of damage - completely destroyed the beans (runners and dwarf French), lettuce, beetroot and the sweetcorn is looking pretty sorry for itself - not sure if it'll come back.....

I'm redoing the fencing tomorrow as think I've found where they're getting in. Is it worth re-sowing the beans? Do I have time to still get a decent crop?

Was thinking about buying some sweetcorn plants to replace the damaged lot, but not sure if it's even too late for small plants for sweetcorn?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Get a decent crop from beans sown now?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:23:33 pm »
Runner beans take about 4 weeks from sowing until they just start to run up their poles, then a few weeks more before they crop.  So that would take you into September.  If you've got seeds to hand, then why not give it a go.  Dwarf french beans will certainly produce a crop from sowings now, if you can keep the bunnies away.  I don't think the corn will come back, and I doubt you would get a crop now from fresh sowings, but anything's worth a try.  Lettuce and beetroot will crop fine from sowings now.  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS