Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?  (Read 22546 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2017, 11:36:02 am »
vfr400boy  , I noticed you have a tremendous amount of greens .
Do you find you cannot eat all the greens before they get too old?

I'm only sowing a maximum of eight brassica  seeds per 10 days to give me a better succession of crops in the warmer weather ( :idea:  what warmer weather  :roflanim:??? . Though I'll be putting in bigger crops of over wintering & spring greens when the time comes for sowings .
It's also reduced the amount of net coverings & bug sprays I needed to use to keep the cabbage whites off  & freed up ground for other crops .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2017, 12:37:01 pm »
I do give a lot to family and friends I buy them in packs of 20 for a pound form car boot sale , that picture was taken last week there growing like mad now with all this rain ,

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
Planted out a whole load of tomato plants, now just need to mulch them and tie them to the canes, to stop them from falling over ::) More beans need to go out into the garden, along with pumpkins, courgettes, squash and more tomato plants. Everything is just growing so fast, here's hoping for a bumper crop this year! ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2017, 08:49:52 pm »
Not enough. Had a look yesterday and all my carrot seedings are gone, guessing slugs or birds. And I have 1 parsnip all on its own.  :'(

The sheep got out into the veg patch and are apparently quite partial to sweetcorn seedlings, they have been decimated. The geese got out into the veg patch and they are apparently partial to chewing on onion tops and pulling up garlic.  :'(

We're creating the outdoor beds for the first time this year and I realised I had more seed potatoes than space in my potato bed so a bunch are still chitting away.  ???

And the new fruit bushes are covered in sawfly.  :'(

But on the upside the polytunnel is doing ok. Tomatoes are looking great and we have a few fruits set now. The cucumbers are setting fruit too as are the courgettes. Thinned carrots are tasty and the lettuce is ready for harvesting. My aubergines and peppers don't seem to be doing much though and I utterly failed at some seeds as I left the seed tin in the polytunnel for a bit, been waiting for these seeds to sprout but I think I cooked them as it's been a month now and no growth at all  :'(

Ah well I keep telling myself better luck next year!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 06:42:30 pm »
I completely sympathise [member=25651]Dans[/member] it is really awful. We had, a few years ago, sheep, a farming neighbours, decimate everything in the garden. Since then very few good crops due to high winds, slugs/snails, bullfinches pulverising tomatoes and rabbits eating the beans. This year the wind is destroying the beans, so will have to find a solution for that. I hope things work out for you this year with the garden. Sadly not every year is really good weatherwise and I think in the past 4 years or so we have really experienced effects of climate change... Sending big hugs to you :hug: :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »
I lost all my carrot seedling too.. guessing slugs and despite bait they destroyed 2 courgette plants. Stuff in the greenhouse has been slow too particularly the peppers
Outside the birds have started eating green cherries and with the one late frost we had there's no early apples and way down on both apples and pears and plums..except for damsons.
At least my currants, goosberries and blueberries are doing OK.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2017, 01:05:36 am »
I've harvested about 10kg of new potatoes! Now putting lettuce and mustard seeds in their place.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:19 pm »
Everything seems to be growing very well. I've netted the brassicas but not seen any cabbage whites yet. Has anyone else?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:26 pm »
I've been doing successional sowing with my lettuces, to give a continuous supply.  Lots of lettuces ready (too many of course) and more coming on.  Today when I was halfway through munching away on a large pile of lettuce leaves, I noticed a greenfly crawling up my arm to make its escape.  It's a bit like finding half a maggot in your apple - you know you've eaten the other half.  Ah well, the rest of the lettuce was too good to waste........ :yum: 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
I've seen a few cabbage whites over the last couple of weeks down in Norfolk and did harvest a single caterpillar on some broccoli. V few cabbage whites though this year. And I'm really pleased not to have had the influx of diamond back moths this year, all my Brassicas look great (except my cauli's which lost their netting in storms a couple of weeks ago and the pigeons got to...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2017, 07:25:51 pm »
We had diamond back moths last year, or maybe the year before, and I was expecting total destruction of my brassicas.  There was hardly any damage to be seen though.  This year, there's far more damage to my caulis caused by sparrows - very holy leaves  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2017, 10:15:30 pm »
I've seen a few cabbage whites over the last couple of weeks down in Norfolk and did harvest a single caterpillar on some broccoli. V few cabbage whites though this year. And I'm really pleased not to have had the influx of diamond back moths this year, all my Brassicas look great (except my cauli's which lost their netting in storms a couple of weeks ago and the pigeons got to...

I've had pigeon damage on the three sprout plants that I had to fit in spare spaces so are not netted. There are people near here who keep racing pigeons so always more than enough around.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS