Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foxes and lambs  (Read 2634 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Foxes and lambs
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:42:31 pm »
Well we have just lost all our geese (gander, 3 females and a gosling) to a fox over the course of two nights.

We have 6 castlemilk ewes and 6 lambs out, the youngest are about a month old the oldest just coming up to 2 months. One of the mum's of the youngest has twins and isn't great on keeping an eye on them.

What do I need to do/can I do to protect them? We have a polytunnel we can bring them into at night, but I'm not sure it's secure enough (gap between bottom of polytunnel and ground). How long do we need to offer extra protection?

Been here two years now and never had any problems with foxes, neither had the guy across the road we got the geese from. Guessing it's a vixen  with demanding cubs to feed. Will she move on or is this now a recurring problem?

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Foxes and lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »
If the lambs are a month-2 months old they should be fine :) AS long as none are weak the foxes leave them alone... Its only weak/newborn ones the foxes will want to take. Am really sorry to hear bout that though, foxes or horrible!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »
They are all fit and well. They are just so much smaller and lighter than even our smallest adult goose, and apart from our monster ram lamb they aren'the very aggressive either.

I can understand the gosling being taken but I didn't think our gander would succumb. He was so big and aggressive.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »
Expect foxy will be back, I shouldn't have thought lambs would be a problem providing they are fit and healthy as mentioned above. I would however make sure your chickens are kept safe as they will probably be the next targets  :-[

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:45:44 pm »
Sorry to read about geese, sickener.
Hope the lambs stay safe.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:06:41 pm »
I think birds don't tend to know how to evade capture at night, whereas sheep and lambs will get up and run or fight, just as they would in daytime.  Plus your wayward mother probably does sleep close to her lambs, or if not, the lambs probably cosy up with other lambs, whose mother(s) would see off any fox.  :fc:  Crossing my fingers because I know how much smaller and lighter a two-month old CM lamb is compared to other types.  But I doubt very much Foxy would try for a lamb, even a very slight lamb, unless there's absolutely nothing else around at all, and I'm sure Foxy wouldn't risk injury from a protective horned ewe.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:37:21 pm »
It's the lightness of the lambs that worries me. The two month old is a pretty chunky lad, the twin girls are a decent size as is the one month old boy, but the one month old twins are still so small (born 1.3 and 1.5kg) and their mum is rubbish with them. Feeds them but if they baa on the other side of the field she doesn't even lift her head. She is a bit better with the girl (who was the bigger of the two) but the boy is often by himself.

Despite that we have decided to not put them in the polytunnel. It isn't secure against foxes and I am worried that the fox will get in and have field day with them penned up. Even the little lamb can outrun us so he stands a chance if he can run with the group. We're moving them out of the area they are in though. It backs onto the track we think the fox travels (the fox dragged one of the bodies to that fence albeit further down) with bushes there that the sheep sleep by. The area we are moving them to is smaller with shorter grass (taller than the lambs in the current area) and is near the polytunnel, where we will leave a light on and radio with radio 4.

I just hope it's enough. Dreading waking up in the morning and finding this runty lamb dead or missing (he could be dragged through stock fencing). Not going to be a good nights sleep. If I wasn't still feeding the toddler I think I would be staying out there tonight.

Only ray of light today, the of the 3 goose eggs we took away (laid later and broody was worse for wear after 6 weeks sitting) 1 of them has started pipping. As have the chicks under our broody hen. Circle of life eh?

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:38 pm »
If your ewe is that bad a mother then I would cull or at least not breed from her again. But I'm sure they will be ok, fox will probably be back within the week (probably once this bad weather clears). My ewes and newborn lambs were out in a field with a known badger run going through it and totally fine, I was worrying like mad at the beginning but had faith that the ewes were good mothers :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS