Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis  (Read 3090 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Mastitis
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:49:19 pm »
I think one of my ewes has got mastitis.  Checked on the sheep earlier and she was standing away from the others and not looking well.  I noticed one of her teats is hard, but milk still comes out.  I gave her Alamycin, but read since that you can inject this into the udder.  I cant find any info on where to inject or how?!?  Has anyone any experience? Thanks

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:46:18 pm »
You need to ask vet for tube for udder
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:16:55 pm »
Ok thanks, I will phone vets tomorrow, but thought there may be a way of injecting it myself.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
Not unless you are experienced... I wouldn't have used Alamycin for mastitis - Pen&Strep, or Noroclav much better.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:45 am »
You'll need a better antibiotic and a tube of antibiotic that you dispense through the hole into the teat. My vets would dispense over the phone. If she has twins I'd take one off. I'd also try and strip out the milk to release the pressure.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:34 am »
Does the milk look normal or watery or lumpy?  Is the udder itself hard and hot, or just the teat?  How old are the lambs?  I'd be inclined to wean off the lambs as soon as practical and send her to cull once the meds. withdrawal is past.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:14 pm »
For the first time this year we got zactran from our vets for a ewe with mastitis - it worked very well, so its worth asking your vets about this. Much better than alamycin.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
Have used oxytetracycline into the muscle and the udder for 20yrs and it works ok , very rare to have an udder split open  and often save the quarter , but for the last 2yrs move to Draxxin ( similar to zactran ) and   Loxicom pain killer and anti inflammatory  ,  smaller doses but less repeat injections

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
Thanks all.
Vets gave me a dosage of pen & strep.
She has twins and they are 12 weeks old, I can't get any milk from her udder and don't think they can either.  The lambs are fine on grass now but would I still need to separate them from mother?
The udder is hard, and huge but doesn't feel hot.  The small amount of liquid I managed to get from her was brown and watery - then nothing else would come.
She doesn't look well at all, just hoping the meds sort it.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 09:10:45 pm »
I'd definitely not breed her again, mastitis is very difficult to cure in sheep. Really she would need tubing twice a day with teat tubes to have any chance. Sounds to far gone to me..

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
Personally I would take the lambs away - they can survive perfectly well now and she would be better without them trying to suckle.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:57 pm »
You will need to repeat the pen&strep at least daily, unless it is an LA? I would definitely take the lambs away as others have said, and a painkiller/NSAID - flunixin or loxicom - would make her feel much better. Again I give flunixin daily until they feel better (for mastitis in goats).

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:15 am »
remove her from lambs and onto poor ground and get here gone as a cull asap. Fairest thing for all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS