Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone Know of a Soil Analysis Laboratory?  (Read 2392 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Anyone Know of a Soil Analysis Laboratory?
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
It appears my Mid-Tier Countryside Stewardship application needs a soil analysis (despite the whole farm being permanent pasture which has had only FYM spread in the last 55 years).  I asked Natural England what exactly was needed and if they had a list of approved companies, to which the reply was that they were sure I'd find someone ....  Google it and you get a variety of companies with many different options.  Ideas or recommendations welcome.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Anyone Know of a Soil Analysis Laboratory?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »
We use SAC for soil analysis or SRUC as they call themselves now but in the past have used Phosyn/Lancrop at Pocklington York (www.lancrop.com). SOYL , www.soyl.co.uk or Soilquest, part of Agrii would all do soil analysis. A simple PH P & K sample is pretty cheap if you want more such as heavy metals the price goes up.

TJHutchison

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:03 pm »
When I was doing my Masters in Ecology I had the occasional private landowner asking for some soil analysis.  Takes a few hours to prepare samples and run them for ICP-MS or AAS depending on what you want analysed.  Maybe contact your local university and see if a willing post-grad can take up the challenge in exchange for some small recompense?  It will definitely, definitely be cheaper.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:06:11 pm »
I haven't sent any soil samples for professional analysis yet, but two lab' services on my list to check out are the Forestry Commission and Mole Valley Farmers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS