Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forgot to shut the hen house last night  (Read 8420 times)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Forgot to shut the hen house last night
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:08 am »
i do that too!

i find i just can't sit and relax until they are in, the day is just not complete until its a job done.

i have forgotten to close the bob hole before though, and had a surprise in the morning when they are out in the run when i get up!      the run is fully enclosed and is really just a dog free feeding area for them, but still, i feel like a bad mother thinking they have had the draught from it being open all night.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:11 am »
Foxes dont just come at night though - if they have young and are hungry they come in the day - so be vigilant.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:18 pm »
In the summer I frequently leave to ramp open as they go to bed later than me!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:49 pm »
I let ours out last saturday at 8.30am at 9.15 had a visit from a fox, killed two and took one. Collected up the chickens put back into coop, the fox came back 3 times, didn't seem to have any fear of us at all. Had to make a make shift run to contain them. Not happy chickens at the mo as used to free rangeing. Got someone coming to dispatch mr fox in the morning, as he seems to appear around the same time each day since last saturday
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:20 am »
that's interesting.... i had a similar experience with a fox about a year ago, since he was dealt with no further incidents.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:30 am »
Sods law the man with the gun came Saturday morning and sat for 3 hours, Mr Fox didn't make an appearance, but it was lashing down. He also may have thought it strange that a van was parked on the back lawn! Oh well the chicken will have to stay in the run until Mr Fox has been taken care of.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS