Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Applying Anti Flystrike Before Shearing  (Read 5289 times)

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
Applying Anti Flystrike Before Shearing
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:27:03 am »
Hi guys,
I've had a terrible time with flystrike this time, everything is fine now but its been a nightmare. Does anyone here use something like Clik very early (before its needed) in March for example to cover them until shearing time? Then again after shearing.
Thanks for any help.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Applying Anti Flystrike Before Shearing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:32 am »
Our shearer said Crovect was more preferrable than Clik if used pre shearing. But I would check with your shearer first as they all have different preferences. We had trouble with strike down here too before shearing, it's been a bad year for it from what I've heard  :-[

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:59:35 am »
Thanks Twizzel, yeah I've heard its been bad too. Luckily I caught it really early but the speed them things multiply is crazy. Is Crovect OK if the sheep are in lamb / feeding lambs?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:31:02 am »
I always used to apply Crovect in April/May and shear in July with no problems. I've since started shearing earlier and not Crovecting. It depends on the weather and where in the country you are I guess.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:52 am »
Thanks Twizzel, yeah I've heard its been bad too. Luckily I caught it really early but the speed them things multiply is crazy. Is Crovect OK if the sheep are in lamb / feeding lambs?
I think so- we used it on a ewe that had strike and she's fine, as are her lambs.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:04 pm »
Where are your sheep getting struck?  If it's always around the tail then crutching at the beginning of March may be the solution.  If in the feet due to footrot then Footvax vaccination may help.   

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 07:37:02 pm »
Where are your sheep getting struck?  If it's always around the tail then crutching at the beginning of March may be the solution.  If in the feet due to footrot then Footvax vaccination may help.   
Its on the upper side of the belly, in a sort of line from top to bottom. I keep them well clipped and dry around the tails and only had one get it there.
I've never noticed any in the feet - are the symptoms the same as being lame?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:40:50 pm »
I had a ewe with it in her foot last summer, she was quite lame with it (although not as lame as she should have been, she was very stoic!). She came in for 10 days and dipped her foot in Crovect and treatment of blue spray/alamycin/metacam not had a problem since with strike or foxtrot :-)

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
I had an ewe went missing from morning feed found her with her twins over the mountain away from the rest of the flock. Suspected something was wrong and found she had fly strike. Sheared her back end and applied Crovect to her and the rest of the flock. Darned flies.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:43:38 pm »
I'm just picturing a sheep with strike on strictly come dancing now  :coat:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »
Bloody autocorrect  :roflanim:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »
Its on the upper side of the belly, in a sort of line from top to bottom. I keep them well clipped and dry around the tails and only had one get it there.
I've never noticed any in the feet - are the symptoms the same as being lame?
Flystrike in the foot does make them lame - they'll also try to nibble at the affected foot.  Do you mean they're struck across the shoulders and downwards?  This can be due to fleece rot, which happens sometimes after extended rain mitigating the effect of lanolin in keeping the wool dry.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:10:02 pm »
We had our 6 sheared today and two have been struck, luckily only a couple of maggots that haven't done too much damage so we are very lucky we've caught it early as the shearer said the ones hes been seeing lately they would have been dead by the end of the weekend.

Our shearer said he (and all the people he knows) use crovect as Clik can cause problems in lambs that are still suckling and would rather shear earlier rather than applying crovect to thick fleece.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS