Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fledgling Quail keeper  (Read 3669 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Fledgling Quail keeper
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:23 am »
Quail also love the occasional mealworm and, if you happen to dig up slug eggs, throw them into your birds, they will vanish in a flash!

Quiltysquail

• Joined Mar 2017
Re: Fledgling Quail keeper
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:42 am »
Just an update

Out of 24 eggs I got 10 hatched, in the end I got 6 boys ..one pretty white one with a dark spot on his head.

They are 4 weeks old now and looking great. Now I have separated the girls  from boys but put them in with the older hen and her mate, they are all happy together and he hasn't bothered them at all yet. (thank goodness)

The boys I have split in to pairs and I'm hoping that  at this age they will bond as two males who forgot girls existed...(as recommended by the RSPCA)

Only time will tell how the boys get on and any signs of aggression will mean a rethink.

The one remaining older male  *Dale the Quail* has had a few adventures inc an escaped round the garden crowing like mad when he got lost and wanted back indoors. He lives in  his own accommodation now but inside the large pen of girls plus mate. I found this was the only way to keep him from crowing incessantly to be near them. I was planning on giving him a new wife but he was on the 4 week girl I suggested in seconds and  frankly I didn't want to risk another death by snoosnoo of one of my precious girls..

Feed wise I've stuck with chick crumb and ground up layers pellets plus budgie seed. The odd millet spray for their amusement and a seed tray of turf for grassy exploits. Meal worms as an occasional treat (thanks for that tip) and they help themselves to spiders, flies and anything else small enough to become prey.

I love love love these Quail!!!!

A neighbour suggested loaning  (or rehoming) the boy pairs with gundog/pointer trainers... :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS