Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal transportation documents and certificates  (Read 1681 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Animal transportation documents and certificates
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:05:11 pm »
I’m wanting to make journeys over 65km and under 8 hours and understand I need a certificate of compentence for this?
Has anyone done this? If there is someone driving and someone as a passenger (or an “attendant”) is it okay for just one of those to have a certificate?
Gov website says you also need a type one transporter authorisation. Found a form that looks relevant; fill it in and send it back. Within it it asks if all drivers and attendants have certificates of competence so this suggests that everyone needs the competence cert??

If someone could clarify would be much appreciated. And as an aside - how does anyone know if you transport without a certificate anyway?!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Animal transportation documents and certificates
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:44:53 am »
I did mine when they first came out.  The local NFU put on a training day and tests.  They were a paper exercise.  I did horses, cattle, sheep and goats all at the same time.

I would ask your local NFU office for who is doing the training and tests now in your area.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 08:57:30 am »
My understanding is that if you are not transporting for economic activity then you don't need t to get the certificate

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:15:33 am »
If its just a couple of journeys a year I really wouldn't bother, the legislation is largely ignored by most equestrians (who are largely unaware of it).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 12:35:43 pm »
And as an aside - how does anyone know if you transport without a certificate anyway?!!

Movement license.  It lists start and end points of journeys, travel time (estimated and actual), driver and vehicle - and authorisation / license ref, if you have one. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »
I did the test for goats, sheep and pigs a while back at local City and Guilds test centre.  Read all the government guides first. It is multiple choice and fairly intuitive but questions on which governent body/ authority is responsible for what I found hardest to answer as they are not spelt out in any guide documents!

If you have a passenger they are not necessarily an attendant. There is no reason you cannot have an uncertified passanger.  You don't need it for transport if it is not for an 'economic activity' (i.e unpaid hobby) but there is no clarity as to when selling the odd sheep becomes an 'economic activity' hence I just did it.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:15:53 pm »
Thanks all :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS