Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay Tedder ID  (Read 2757 times)

helicopterdcr

• Joined Feb 2013
Hay Tedder ID
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:57:34 am »
Can anyone help with identifying the model of hay machinery in the attached photo please? It's a Lely, but I can't find a model number. I need to replace the plastic wheels with something that will last a bit longer than 20 minutes and have no idea what size the wheels should be.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Hay Tedder ID
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 01:00:56 pm »
My initial thought would be a Gemini but not sure , Lely is still in business , so if you sent them the picture they should identify it . Looking at your tines are they Haybob tines ,I thought that Lely tines were hooked at the end

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »
The wheels of any lely tedder/hay zip of that era will most likely be the same (maybe even PZ).  Just search for pictures of machines on ebay.  I doubt you will be able to buy them new, you need to look for a second hand dealer or breaker or a whole scrap machine I should think.

Ive just looked on ebay, you can get new haybob wheels - fair chance they will fit...try your local lely maindealer /agri merchant.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:52:51 pm by stufe35 »

helicopterdcr

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
Thanks for that - there's always good advice here...

I've already been to my local agri merchant, and he's photocopied the Lely wheel page for me - if it's a Gemini, the wheels would be 4.00 - 8 x 4. I've sent Lely a picture and await response! I thought of doing that only after posting here of course. Does it matter if the tines are wrong? It seemed to turn the hay OK last year but rowing up was not good, with lots of hay left lying about (I spent several hours hand raking the loose stuff into the rows!). I have no idea how fast the thing should be running to make it work as it should.

Cheers,
Dave

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:57:58 pm »
do you know what size the axle is I have a few wheel of a old tedder may fit , most of the time you move the position of the tines which alter it to row up

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:38 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lely-Gemini-Tedder-Operators-Manual-ORIGINAL-GTC-J-/291414952884

Buy this to find out how to set up and adjust your machine correctly.

I always advise buying and reading user manuals for whatever you have.  Even machines you think are simple and obvious can work so much better and be so much easier to use once you know what the bloke that invented them wanted you to know.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:03 pm »
Once you identify the model then you can get a manual and all will be known ,   If the wrong tines then probably why it doesn't rake cleanly ?  normal speed for many machines is  the red line 540 rpm on your rev counter

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
Use google images search to positively I'd your machine.  New tines can still be bought. Sparex make them so most agri suppliers should be able to source ( found this on eBay). I think there will be left hand and right hand ones.

The tines on yours look like the wrong ones ( pz ) which is why it's not working right

helicopterdcr

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:40 am »
Thanks Stu & Shep - both with good advice. I've bought the manual!

The manual looks old enough to be the right one and is worth a punt. Once I've had a look through, I'll be in a better position to come back on the kind offer:

do you know what size the axle is I have a few wheel of a old tedder may fit , most of the time you move the position of the tines which alter it to row up

The axle is inch OD and 3.5" long. The axles have been messed about with so I'll have to drill and tap to put a washer/bolt in the ends to hold wheels in place.  Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my SOS. With any luck I'll get it all working before haymaking starts! At 70 quid for the tedder, I don't think I've been exactly robbed...

helicopterdcr

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 07:18:53 am »
Manual has arrived and it's definitely a Gemini. Unfortunately it only specifies 'steel wheels', and doesn't say what size they should be. It's also fitted with the wrong tines... Valmet, maybe you could look out your old wheels and let me know what you have?
Thanks
Dave

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 12:34:47 pm »
Secondhand  tines for sale on ebay , Disapointed  that Lely never got back to you ?       Looking at your picture again just realized no pto shaft ,  ?            The hay bob tines on the machine look new so you could sell them on ebay to help cover the cost of the correct  tines
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:52:57 pm by shep53 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS