Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When and if to worm  (Read 1236 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
When and if to worm
« on: April 27, 2017, 11:39:34 am »
Need advice good people - just had an FEC done with a 200 egg count (roundworm), no fluke or cocci. The goats due to kid 15 June have been treated monthly with vermex (herbal) and have been out grazing almost daily, which does mean the pasture hasn't been rested. I don't have any fresh pasture because the sheep use that. I'm worried about worm resistance especially when I read about the number of wormers that aren't suitable for milking animals.  So my question is - should I use a chemical wormer now or carry on with my organic routine and take regular FEC's?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: When and if to worm
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »
Well thought I'd post this info if anyone else might be interested - I rang the vets office today to ask the same question and he thought the goats needn't be wormed, the reading was perfectly acceptable. I asked about kids and he suggested taking a FEC from the kids between 4 - 6 weeks and take it from there. Needless to say I'm delighted.  :thumbsup:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS