Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Frustrated with new goat family  (Read 2525 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Frustrated with new goat family
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »
Hi goat experts we need more advice. Having bought our little goat family as pets and to put in our gorsey, hilly field eventually ( Pygmy cross young nanny aged under 2 and her 2 wether cross kids) we have been keeping them in a lovely roomy stable with lots of nice bedding, good quality hay and goat nuts twice a day trying to tame them so that we can start to let them out. Both me and husband have spent at least half an hour a day sat in there with them quietly with treats etc. Within a couple of days the Nanny would tentatively take the treats from our hand ( ginger biscuits is one as advised on this forum) but that's it, we cannot seem to progress any further. The kids just won't come near and Nanny will scurry to the back of the stable and stare accusingly as soon as she has eaten the treats. It's been 3 weeks now and we just don't seem to be moving on! It didn't help that a week ago the vet came to vaccinate and check them which obviously involved grabbing and pinning down. But goats being supposedly friendly creatures I would have hoped to have made some progress at least with the kids? Are we being impatient? Is it possible to have a goat that can never be tamed? Any tips? Is it because the nanny was too young when bred from? The kids were born February on the farm we bought them from. Thanks

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Re: Frustrated with new goat family
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:03 pm »
Sorry and to add- wondered if we should try and find an old tame nanny or wether to put with them to lead by example? We have the room

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:59:15 pm »
I was just about to suggest another goat that would give them security or if you have sheep maybe even a tame sheep? The goats sound a bit traumatised, was she used to a bigish flock?

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:43:07 pm »
Hi at the farm they came from all the goats of various breeds ( mostly being reared for meat) were kept together in one big barn. When we saw her she'd already been separated with her kids. I also got the impression she had got pregnant 'accidentally'.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:44:50 pm »
Although she has her kids with her your nanny goat is the only adult so her nervousness is very understandable. She has a lot to risk if you turn out to be untrustworthy. It may just be her personality, but chances are her insecurity is due to lack of an adult companion.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 12:52:10 am »
When sat in there are you looking at them all the time?  That could be making them nervous ( or not helping anyway), I'd sit in there with a book, newspaper, reading aloud, not moving anything fast.
Put a food bowl somewhere and each time you are in there move it nearer, but ignoring them as they approach it.
My thoughts anyway.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:19:06 am »
And three weeks isn't very long. I had a nervous goat once who,really didn't tame up until after he had an illness that required him to be handled several times a day,for several weeks.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »
Completely agree with other posters. Its taken 18 months of constant gentle treat giving to one of my GGs who was pretty wild when I got her at 6 months old. Not so her cousin aslo 6 months who was tame enough to stroke from day 2. She will now approach me if I'm standing in their byre to see if I have anything nice to eat and come up for a scratch, but if I make a move to hold her collar for feet trimming etc shes off, until cornered and caught. Trouble is she'll avoid me for a few days after that. Its not easy but it seems like you're doing all the right things and some goaties obviously take longer than others. Don't be discouraged, it'll be amazing when it happens  ;D
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
Thanks all for your replies. We have made some progress- the kids are now coming up to eat a few goat nuts out of hand and to nibble at my sleeves. We've also created a little pen outside the stable with hurdles so that we can leave the door open and Annie the Nanny will come to the front of that for some fruit or a ginger biscuit. I feel much better knowing how long it took some of your goats to come round. Sometimes you just need to know that you're not doing something wrong!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS