Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Last years Lamb getting the runs on fresh grass  (Read 1314 times)

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
Last years Lamb getting the runs on fresh grass
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »
Hi All,
I have a ram lamb who was an orphan from last year, since I've moved him on to fresh grass (around early March) he's had the runs, however was dry when I brought him from the old pasture. He's been wormed and fluked, I've brought him inside and just fed him hay and that dries him up completely. However after a couple of days of being on the grass again he's got the runs again, he's in great condition and is very happy and always is springing around the field. I'm growing more and more concerned with the warmer weather coming and the increase in flys, do you think he'll just get used to the grass as it get shorter? Or any other tips that would help dry him up?

Look forward to some advice,
Many thanks,
Keelan

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: Last years Lamb getting the runs on fresh grass
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:04 pm »
I had a similar thing last year with a couple of young ewes.  I strip grazed them within a small area and put some hay in the strip. Not enough grass to satisfy them so fed on the hay as well. The hay seemed to dry them up while still grazing on some fresh grass.  Over a couple of weeks I increased the strip area and reduced the hay.  Aprox. 3 weeks and they were totally on grass and clean bums.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Last years Lamb getting the runs on fresh grass
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:09 pm »
clip his backend totally , he may/may not dry up , all sheep are different

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS