Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wheeled Self-propelled Line Trimmers  (Read 3633 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Wheeled Self-propelled Line Trimmers
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:45:16 pm »
Anyone with equipment as per the subject with any thoughts, gripes, thumbs-ups please?

The grass between my willow/apple rows has gone hay-wire this year (partly because I have been unable to attend-to as much as I would have liked for various reasons).  My mulch mower really can't cope and the rest of my kit is too big for inter-row management. 

I am now looking at wheeled line trimmers - must be a self-propelled line trimmer (SPLT) cos I'm not about to push one around several acres of quite bumpy ground.  Also, one such machine will supplement the PTO driven flail for seasonal tackling of Field 3 bracken in areas where I have yet to clear "moor stones". 

This far on I wish I'd gone for an SPLT instead of the Stiga self-propelled mulch mower.  (The latter may well end up being advertised on some sort of sellers' web-site before too long, unless I suddenly get a few gardening clients requiring lawn-care.)

There aren't that many manufacturer options available in UK: top of the list (actually the only one on the list at this early research stage) is a Hyundai HYFT60SP for some £540 or so.
Also, need to speak to Al-Ko who, apparently, are UK suppliers for American DR Pro machines - however, the only DR self-propelled is seemingly their very top model so I'm not expecting a great price compared to the Hyundai.)

Any recommends (or otherwise) please ?  Comments on non-self-propelled models might also prove useful as to reliability/spares etc etc.  (I know there is a Tondu "push" wheeled-trimmer, but seemingly no Tondu self-propelled model.  I mention cos I really liked my cheap non-professional Tondu (now LawnFlite Tondu) petrol multi-tool until I eventually wore it out with some 6 yrs of very hard use.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 04:15:30 am by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
Re: Wheeled Self-propelled Line Trimmers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 10:23:23 pm »
Oh umm, I find the Hyundai is in very short supply right now so I might just plonk as I believe I've found a UK supplier with stock & will be calling them int' morn to make absolutely sure before I press the confirm order button ont' web-site.

Am still happy to take comments on experiences of wheeled line trimmers, but my destiny as regards a wheeled line trimmer might well be fixed if supplier does, indeed, have the Hyundai model in stock.  (I can't be waiting for the post-Covid world to get its act together as regards re-supplies of all sorts of stuff.  I'll go with what I can get.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:27:34 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:09:14 pm »
Yep, I've plonked for the Hyundai.  Delivery early next week. 
(I'm sure it will be just fine !!)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 06:14:40 pm by arobwk »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:15:42 am »
Best self propelled trimmer I've come across is some broken mouthed sheep. Their lack of front teeth means they can still eat the grass, but not bark your trees.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:00:21 pm »
LOL [member=6533]landroverroy[/member] .  Unfortunately the wonky sheep still need routine over-sight.

Of course some types of strimmer/trimmer come with guard frames, but the real problem is overly enthusiastic or untrained s/trimmer operators. 
With a carried strimmer, best to come in side-ways (as most strimmer guards are shaped to provide some degree of protection on one side) and reduce the revs.  I use Oregon flexi-blade line that can do real damage to lots of things let alone plant-life, but I've not had a problem tickling grass away from around trees and shrubs with the right amount of care and only the revs needed to top the grass stems.

(The Hyundai trimmer comes with a wrap-around guard in one side so I reckon I should be able to avoid ringing the bark off my whole crop as I cruise up both sides of a row.  Not that the willow will mind, but grafted apple tops would.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 08:54:39 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 09:42:05 pm »
Well, I guess not many TASers have self-propelled trimmers after-all (maybe just wonky sheep). 

I'll report on mine idc (trimmer rather than wonky herbivores) as it hasn't actually arrived yet !  Am hoping delivery delay is just part of the HGV driver shortage issue and will be sorted next week (??) 
It's a right PITA when one's forward schedules become uncertain due to a wayward purchase/delivery with no communications - I'd be content with "Sorry we're late, but ..."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:22:46 am by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 06:17:21 pm »
This is just a rant really:  I was assured by the seller ...  "Your instructions re delivery and advance notification have been passed to the courier". 

Several days later than the projected delivery date, I received call from courier driver ... "I'm just north of St Dennis and heading towards ****** - where are you exactly ?" ... "Well"  I replied  "you are 2 minutes away from the delivery address, but I am 30 minutes away because no one notified me, as requested, of a date/time-slot." 

Mr "I'mJustTheDriver" was, however, able to confirm a re-delivery time-slot for next Monday !!!!
I'm starting to go off online shopping, in this covid era, as one can rarely get hold of anyone to speak-to to make sure every-thing will work for deliveries. (You don't say "deliver to my neighbour if I'm not there" for a large package weighing 43kg+ !)

Rant over and the seller has been made aware of my disgruntlement !

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:40:23 pm »
Trimmer arrived Monday with packaging looking like it had been to Timbuktu and back (maybe several round trips) with bits sticking out through what was left of the cardboard.  I extracted it with great trepidation, but, by a miracle, it was not damaged and all parts were still in the "box". Nevertheless, grumpy emails going to all parties concerned.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 04:15:39 pm »
The Hyundai HYFT60SP works quite well ! 

I can think of several improvements they might have engineered into the design, but I find its 173cc engine and 22" cut can cope with some really rough stuff. The very toughest tussock grass needs to be treated with caution though (slowly ripped away in manual drive), but otherwise it does a pretty good job in self-propelled drive mode cutting quite dense grass.

Given the dearth of comparable self-propelled trimmer/strimmer machines for less than a £k, I'm happy.  (The User Manual leaves much to be desired though !)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:51:17 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS