Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Legal requirements for tractor trailer  (Read 2049 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Legal requirements for tractor trailer
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:22:48 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know what the legal requirements are for a trailer being towed by a tractor? My main concern being the brakes. I thought I read somewhere that as long as it's below a certain weight and the combined weight is below a certain value then it's legal. It'll obviously need lights and a reg plate. What about mud guards are these a necessity?

Does anyone have an idea what this trailer pictures might weigh?

Any info much appreciated.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Legal requirements for tractor trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »
See this previous  thread
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=73715.0

You don't need any mudguards on the trailer you have pictured..that is how it would have left the factory.

Tractor trailers are categorised by tonnage. The tonnage being the weight they can carry, which is unlike construction plant such as dumpers and excavators which are also categorised by tonnage, but it is how much they weigh.

By siight I think the trailer you've pictured is at least a 4 ton trailer, perhaps a 6. As to what it weighs you could now Google modern trailers of this category and get some idea.

I've done it, a Fleming 6 ton trailer weighs about 1.5 ton...and I'd now say that is a 6 ton trailer.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:33:18 pm by stufe35 »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:29:23 pm »
It looks more like a 3 tonne trailer to me.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:39:27 pm »
Thank you stufe35 that's incredibly helpful. I always find the official regulations quite confusing but the jist of it is I can tow up to 4 times the weight of my tractor unbraked.

I gave it a lick of MF super red today so at least it doesn't stand out as an old trailer. I've possibly committed an offence in the farming community with it being a New Holland (1963).

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:17 pm »
It looks more like a 3 tonne trailer to me.

It could be , but 3 ton trailers of that vintage didn't usually have such wide tyres, or draw bars as heavy duty as that pictured.

If it is a 3 ton its weight will more like 1 ton.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS