Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming advice oh wise ones  (Read 1217 times)

Jode

• Joined Aug 2012
Worming advice oh wise ones
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:38 pm »
Hi

We will be lambing in June (didn't acquire Ram until late December) and this will be our second time; we didn't lamb last year but the year before.

We fecal tested sheep last Autumn and vet advised no need to treat for worms. They have been on winter grazing and still currently are. I will be moving them to a paddock not grazed by sheep for over a year which is next to the barn so if we need to bring in for lambing we can. When we last lambed, we wormed the ewes in the pen once they had lambed, just before turning out on to fresh pasture. This time, we have less pasture so I am restricted. I really only have one field for the ewes and lambs to use, which is the same one that I would like to bring them up to before they lamb. My vet has advised worming with a white wormer to cover for nematodes, so would it be wise to worm them soon, then turn them back onto dirty pasture for a couple of days then move to fresh pasture, then worm again after lambing but turn back onto the same fairly newish pasture???

And the white wormer is only available as a drench (we usually inject using a sterimatic gun but with an ivermectin based wormer). So I'll have to buy a drenching gun too? I assume it doesn't come with one? Am looking at buying Rycoben SC because Panacur only comes in 5l from my supplier and I only have 20 sheep!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Worming advice oh wise ones
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:29:11 pm »
We dose with a syringe without a needle, in from the side of the mouth and over the tongue.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:19:36 pm »
We dose with a gun, much easier all round. Have done ours this year before turnout with Rycoben SC- it does come in 0.8l bottle and I think you could get it online once you've answered some questions on the animals it will be used on. We did our ewes with the worm and fluke dose as they hadn't been fluked since December. I left 1 ewe in good condition with a single lamb untreated so as to try and avoid wormer resistance.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:55 pm »
The scops (Sustainable Control of Parasites in Sheep)  website may answer some of your concerns.  A drench gun is a very useful piece of kit and lasts for years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS