Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eletric fencing and foot paths  (Read 1950 times)

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
eletric fencing and foot paths
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:55:13 am »
advise please...
We need to strip graze with sheep but our field  has a foot path diagonally across it I know we need to maintain the kissing gates and put up signage on the fencing and gates but any thing ells?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: eletric fencing and foot paths
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:54 am »
If the footpath runs through the field the public should have access to it regardless of electric fence... so you need to add in electric fence gates (the bungee type ones) into the electric fence line so the public can walk through the field.

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:09:37 am »
thanks I thought if we grazed it on the small line as the path.we may be able to avoid that, VSO sell sheep net gates we may opt for those if we have to put gates in as they are a bit more idiot proof.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:10:04 pm »
Just watch with electric sheep netting, it's not really designed for unsupervised use, I've freed many a lamb from getting stuck in them when the fencer has gone flat. Much prefer 3 strands of electric and a bungee handle at one end for the public to access.

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
we can use strands and net gate as its free standing, don't lambs just escape through tape?
I know you can get net with much smaller holes at the base than standard

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:56:44 pm »
My ewes and lambs are behind 4 strands of electric and none have gone through it yet. We used electric wire rather than netting for pet lambs and it contained them very well in the garden too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS