Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible mastitis  (Read 1468 times)

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
Possible mastitis
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:25:31 pm »
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

We had our first kid on the 14th of March. All was well until tonight.

The kid is feeding fine off of the right teat and she is happy for my to milk it by hand.
The slightest touch of her left one is unbearable for her. The teat/udder does not feel overly warm and there are no hard lumps. There is a swollen area local to the teat but it seems like it's fluid filled. The left teat seems smaller than the right but that may be because the kid had just fed from the right.

Im going to get in touch with the vet tomorrow but looking for some advice inches meantime.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Possible mastitis
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:13:13 pm »
Take her temperature (just before you call the vet as well as tonight, so you can see if it is changing), and if it iis not mastitis (and it doesn't sound like it), it may be oedema? Could she have had a it knocked by another goat or trying to jump somewhere she shouldn't have?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:08:33 pm »
As Anke said and I would try and milk out the left teat if kid is not feeding from it and if  you are not already milking it.Being tight and engorged with milk, can cause blocked ducts perhaps causing lump and uncomfortably for goat. Check the milk -does it have clots in it or does it look fine. Can you see any bruising marks on the left side.
 I recently had a milker similar who had one side quite engorged and hard felt lumps in udder. Kids feeding on one side as this side too tender for her to let them feed. As I was milking her the milk looked normal but still lump when stripped out. Then I noticed a bruise appearing looked very much like a bite -one of the kids must have been too rough and bit her. It had got infected as well so vet gave antibiotic injection and I applied udder cream after each milking (kids now bottle fed) Is healing well now the lumps now gone and with the scab gradually getting smaller a month after kidding and incident.
My experience of proper mastitis goat suddenly unwell overnight, milk is like water and clots. Sub clinical mastitis goat is normal in every way but starts to get clots in the milk and gets worse sometimes getting difficult to milk clots out. Teat dipping can stop it progressing early on but if it doesn't work may need vet treatment with antibiotics.
Also if your goat does have mastitis and vet treats with antibiotic cow tube that is inserted into udder make sure the vet attempts to do it not leaving you to as not all goats teats are suitable for cow tubes, vet may need to do alternative of injection.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:14:21 pm by Talana »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:48:49 pm »
You really need ones smaller than the ones for cows. They're hard enough to get in while the goat is doing her best to kick your hand away, without attempting something too big.

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:51:57 am »
Hi all thanks for the responses, I had another goof look yesterday evening and noticed the fluid swelling appears to just be her left udder.
It's hard to explain but the udders are quite lopsided, the right teat is full and is hanging pretty much straight down. The left udder is very small and being pushed to the side.

Could it just be that it is drying out? We only have the one kid and beyond just the odd squeeze to make sure she is flowing ok we have not been milking her.

Will get the vet out and see what they say.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26:07 pm »
Milk her, even if you don't want the milk.Just don't strip her out on that side, but make sure it is soft and not hot etc. As long as the kid suckles you will have to continue, once the kid is off milk, you can then milk her less and less and the reduce the frequency of milking until she is dry.

What breed is she and has she been milked before?

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »
Had the vet round and confirmed it's not mastitis. She managed to milk her while I held her.

This is her first kid so she's never been milked before.

Will keep an eye on it and as you suggest I will milk her until the kid is weaned.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS