Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coughing Goat  (Read 2875 times)

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
Coughing Goat
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:43:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,

One of my boer's is coughing, I thought originally it might be lung worm so they have been wormed though the coughing hasn't got any better, I have also noticed that his eyes are a little weepy (not gunky just a little runny)
My Norfolk Horn Ram is also the same, though his cough is more chesty. The Ram has been wormed and given an antibiotic injection, but again it has not cleared up the cough (the rams eyes are not weepy like the goats).

The other three ewes and other goat are fine and not showing any signs of any illnesses, the coughing has been for a few weeks now and although hasn't got worse, it also hasn't got better.

The sheep are fed sheep nuts and the goats badminton country mix along with being out on pasture during the day and locked in a stable at night (goats in one, sheep in another) they have access to fresh water all day and night from water thoughs along with straw beds and hay at night in their stables.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Both animals are otherwise healthy, running over when they see me for food and attention etc.

Thank you in advance.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Coughing Goat
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:28 pm »
Have you checked their temperature?

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
I would get a vet to listen to their chest. Is your hay quite dusty? Which wormer did you use and have you tested for resistance?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
I had a coughing goat, and I'm pretty sure he had slight weepy eyes too. Two vets looked at him and said it was fine, that some goats just cough a bit. It def got worse with exertion. He Had it for weeks and weeks, Otherwise fine, other goat fine. He had a short course of pen and strep and anti inflammatory (for a mouth abscess) and a week later I realised he'd stopped coughing and never has since.

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:35 am »
Thank you for your replies.

The hay is green and of good quality, not dusty nor has any mould spores (I have horses so rather picky about what I purchase).

I have not checked his temperature, I will do that tonight.

Steph, please excuse my ignorance, what is Pen and Strep?

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:52:38 pm »
Oh dear, don't want to worry you but when my doeling was about 10 months old she coughed and the vet diagnosed pnuemonia, she was also off her food and it took two intensive weeks and lots of injections to get her eating again. She's right as rain now and hopefully in kid.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS