Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie on taging  (Read 1393 times)

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
newbie on taging
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »
Hi totally new to this so please bare with me when we get or sheep they will of course come with there ear tags from the previous holdings do we need to re tag them or what?
sorry for such a basic question I'm sure there will be more

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: newbie on taging
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »
No need to retag. They will retain their original owners details.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »
They should come double tagged- if so then you don't need to do anything unless they lose a tag- then you apply new double RED tags with your flock number on (the double red shows the tag has been applied off the holding of birth). Record the change of tag in your flock book.

If they come single tagged (i.e. you've bought lambs intended for slaughter before 12mths of age but you've decided to keep them for breeding or pets), then you do the same as above with the red tags.

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:06 pm »
 they should have an EID chip even in the one ear now? shouldn't they
 thank you chaps one less job to do hopefully with fencing water to redirect brambles to take on and a barn that's well scrap but needs to get us through this first winter. + finding someone to harvest the arable seed our hay meadows and some brassicas to help feed the beasties. definitely in at the deep end don't even own a 4x4 yet. a lot to do not much time before September.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:36:13 pm »
Yes they should be tagged before leaving the sellers holding- double tagged preferably, otherwise if it's lambs a single EID tag will suffice (but you'll obviously have to change them as outlined above if you don't plan on killing within the first 12 months of their life). Don't let them onto your holding if they aren't tagged properly.

ho !sheep!

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »
thank you looking at some Dorset down ewe lambs and have the offer of some very tame healthy old ewes of my sisters organic farm trying to persuade her to sell me Jake her first male Jacob as he's castrated so with us he'd avoid the pot the idea the old girls will help with taming the young ones and jack will keep rams happy when they cant be in with the girls.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS