Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: using herdwick wool  (Read 3647 times)

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
using herdwick wool
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »
Hi  Anyone got any bright ideas what I can do with the wool from my few herdwick sheep?  Seems such a waste not to use it, but it is so coarse no-one wants it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: using herdwick wool
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09:03 pm »
Use it to stuff pillows for dog bedding? Not sure if it felts but you may be able to give that a go too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:20:32 pm »
You could possibly use it for making floor rugs on a peg loom. Look on you tube for ideas. Peg looms aren't expensive , or you can make one yourself. You realise this is the top of the slippery slope into all things fibre!

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:56:48 pm »
I've seen some lovely rugs comstructed from Herdwick wool and a peg loom. The owner of the flock had also put a lot of work into getting some wool spun at great expense, the impression I got was that it was v difficult and didn't produce a good product.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
www.woolclip.com 

Woolclip are based in Cumbria and love herdwicks.  They might have some ideas in their gallery, or maybe you could get to woolfest itself.   I love their felted herdies.

I'm sure I've told the tale before of my MiL knitting me a jersey in Herdwick yarn.  It apparently made her fingers bleed - I think a lot of nasty names for me were knitted into that garment  ;D :knit: .  Then of course I could only wear it on dry extremely cold days, so not very often.  It was immensely warm - you can see how the sheep are so hardy  :sheep:

I like the idea of a pegloom rug - no skill required and the finished product would be indestructible  :thumbsup: .  You could also try felting a fleece into a vegetarian sheepskin, which is mentioned in the TAS crafts section. It wouldn't be cuddly, but it wouldn't wear out for many years on the floor.

Heb fleece can be used to repair potholes and I think herdwick would be even better.  Dig out the pothole a bit, line with a herdwick fleece, fill with rough stones, then drive over it a lot.  The fleece felts and holds the stones in place for much longer than just refilling the hole with stones alone.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:19:51 am »
Wool Clip are inspiring - always, but especially in their many uses of Herdwick wool. I particularly like Pam Hall's woven dyed Herdy fabrics which make beautiful hardwearing bags, upholstery and so on.

Not all Herdy fleece is very coarse, some is much less so.  Never soft, but can be perfectly spinnable without lacerating fingers!  What Herdy is wonderful for is dyeing - the natural grey tones give a gorgeous heathering effect through the overdyed colours. 

Haven't heard the pothole idea before; we have a good collection of them here, and plenty of Zwartbles fleece... might suggest we give it a go. Thanks, FW!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:23:43 am »
Ever so slightly off topic but there is a tv programme called money for nothing where the presenter is at a skip site. She takes random stuff from the public and then gets designers to modify the item and then sells them for extortionate prices. The other day she took a pad of wool shreds that had been used as packaging - she then made 5 little wool felted birds which were then sold on for 40 pounds each!!
maybe your herdwick fleece could be made into something similar - good luck!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:00 am »
I love the pot hole idea. We have plenty of herdwicks and potholes in Cumbria!  :idea:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS