Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Part time keeping hardy cattle  (Read 2400 times)

Damok

• Joined Feb 2017
Part time keeping hardy cattle
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:30:35 pm »
Aspiring small holder here, I'd like to know if my current aspirations are feasible. I won't be able to afford my own place with land for years and years, but i'd like to get started keeping some cattle before I get to that point.

Is it feasible to rent some marginal land and keep something hardy like Belted Galloways or Highlands whilst I maintain my full time job? Do these breeds need daily management? Also is it feasible to keep these breeds without any Shelter year round?

My aspiration is to keep a small herd for beef. I live near lots of moorland, hopefully could pick up some marginal land to rent at some point. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Part time keeping hardy cattle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:16 am »
Every animal needs daily management, checking at least twice a day at a very minimum. It depends on location, soil type, natural shelter availability and breed if you can keep them out all year round. You should think about handling facilities though too, if you need to bring a cow in for the vet, calving, tb testing, access for tractor if feeding bales... there's lots more practicalities to think about aside from whether they need daily management.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Part time keeping hardy cattle
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:34:19 am »
 Yes to all 3 questions.

In fact the reason cattle are generally housed in winter is because of ease of management and because of the damage done to pastures if they are left out. Cattle are quite capable of living outside all year round.
 But if the marginal land you have your eye on is boggy and badly drained you would end up with a sea of welly grabbing /calf drowning mud in winter and your plan wouldn't work.   
 We used to house our cattle, but since buying some sand land we winter our Herefords and Highlands outside, and I must admit they seem to stay healthier as they get more exercise and we seldom have to assist at calving.

We feed them on big bale hay, with plenty of feed rings so no one has to fight for a place, and feed blocks. The management is simple. I check them once a day - unless someone looks like calving. If the weather is particularly cold and windy we put a load of large straw bales in the field for shelter.

BUT in order for the system to work you need proper equipment and that does not come cheap. You need at the very least:
   Feed rings.
   Handling gates and a suitable crush.
   A tractor with loader to give them their feed and to move feed rings as the area around gets muddy.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS