Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausage prices  (Read 5285 times)

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
Sausage prices
« on: February 07, 2017, 06:27:11 pm »
Just wondering what everyone was charging for sausages, I understand that not everyone would sell just sausages if those that don't include them in a half pig price etc what do you charge per kilo, I've seen some people near me (Devon) charging £6 per kilo which I think is too cheap in my opinion
Everyday is a day to wake up for

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Sausage prices
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »
We sell ours for £7.95 per kilo.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:42 am »
A handmade butchers sausage will cost between £8-10 per kg and the majority of those will not be made from slow reared rare breed pork!
Do not undervalue your product! It is a premium product that has taken time and money and people are lucky to get the opportunity to buy it

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:35 am »
It is a premium product that has taken time and money and people are lucky to get the opportunity to buy it

you've just got to convince them of that  ;D ;D

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:44:06 pm »
I've seen an online farm shop charging £11.70 per kg, fantastic if you can get it, I agree that people are lucky to have what we class as real food but I also agree with having to try to convince them , it's tough when you hear "but I can get twice the amount at bookers"!!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:06 pm »
I've seen an online farm shop charging £11.70 per kg, fantastic if you can get it, I agree that people are lucky to have what we class as real food but I also agree with having to try to convince them , it's tough when you hear "but I can get twice the amount at bookers"!!

we never aim at people that buy the cheapest, it is pointless. we aim at people who already buy the best tescos/sainsbury's/waitrose have to offer. that is the only way

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 03:16:25 pm »
echo what's been said here, and add - do lots of market research. Asking on TAS doesn't count, lots of the information - whilst good - may not be as relevant to your situation (and location) as the research you do yourself. go on bigbarn, find all your local farm shops, visit them (web or in person) an gather prices, go to the main towns near you and visit the butchers for prices. Gather the highest and lowest priced sausages in each shop, and each type of shop.

you are not aiming for people who say "I could buy twice as many in asda".... those people are welcome to asda.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »
It's horses for courses. Of course we'd all like to sell to the people who want top quality and don't mind paying for it. but they are thin on the ground and in our area at least they are vastly outnumbered by people who while they do want to support local business, and want to eat well, they have to keep an eye on the pennies. Start by understanding the economics of a sausage. We retail ours for £7.50/kg which is within the ball park of local butchers prices. However the meat that goes into our sausages is actually realising a considerably higher price than that. Obviously if you have to pay someone to make them then a lot of your potential profit goes to them. At the end of the day if you're only doing three weaners a year it doesn't matter what you charge or if you make a profit. If you're at it week in week out then the economics of the sausage will become apparent.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:43 pm »
I'm in a luxury position as I am a fully licensed slaughterman I work 5 miles from home I can also butcher our meat at a licensed cutting plant at little to no cost for my own animals. My family own a bakery and a cafe in a prime location in a seaside town and an outlet in a seaside village part of the family business is attending various shows selling produce, so I have no problem in selling any meat at high end prices because we can pass that on as the end user in the cafe bakery and  shows. The reason I started the post was because other than selling to our shops and to a local farm shop I haven't really sold to joe public and was interested to see how much people charge and what price they've been comfortable with, like I said in the first post I saw some one locally asking £6 per kilo and simply thought how's it worth it, all the work that goes into and the time and money it takes to get to the selling point at £6 I'd imagine they're just breaking even if lucky. To me £10-11 per kilo for quality slow grown pork sausages is reasonable. Someone I know today in the trade said he can get 9kilos of loose sausages for £20 god knows what's in them!! Most butchers wouldn't even turn your pork into sausages for less than £3 per kilo. There's been great feedback from all so far , I've gone abit here sorry if I bored you!!!

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:06 pm »
Indeed, "don't ask why my sausages are so expensive but ask why your sausages are so cheap" ????

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:40:59 am »
find all your local farm shops, visit them (web or in person) an gather prices

even better, ask where they source they sausages and pork and see if they'll switch because you're closer/free range/whatever better than current supplier.

kate7590

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Powys
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 09:00:28 pm »
We sell ours for £10 per kg
Living the 'Good Life' in our little Chapel in the rural welsh countryside.
Proud owner of 3 Border Collies, Giant Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chickens, Runner Ducks, 3 'pet sheep' &  Jacob Sheep.
Loving life :)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:12 am »
I would be interested to know the circumstances relating to what people are selling for. For example is it a few pigs once a year? Are the sales to friends and family or properly retailed through a farmers market, a shop, or other outlet? There's a world of difference between flogging some meat to your Gran, your sister and your mates at work, and actually selling to real customers week in week out all year round. As there's a world of difference between raising a couple of weaners over the summer and keeping a breeding herd of pigs sufficient to provide year round availability.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »
I have a ready made market in the family catering business but want to build on that through sales to the general public, I've sold weaners too so I can keep pigs all year round and not have lots of hungry mouths throughout the winter, I have a good deal with my local feed merchants so I can keep feed cost to a bare minimum

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS